1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Column titles ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, May 1, 2007.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My editor has encouraged me to write a column for our weekly paper which I have no problem doing. I'm not exactly Bill Plashke, but I figure I can handle writing a weekly local sports column along with my other duties.
    He mentioned I could come up with a title for it - the guy I replaced had one on his - but I was a little thrown off by it.
    On one hand, it would be cool to have that catchy title with my ugly mug next to it, is it unprofessional? Is it lame?
    Currently, I'm on the fence leaning towards no, but I figured I'd throw it out here.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Nothing wrong with it.

The Trib has called its lead columns "In the Wake of the News" for a long, long time.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If you get cute with it, it looks bush league. The Trib's is OK, so is the NYT's "Sports of The Times." Personal preference is just the columnist's name. The only place where I wrote some columns, it was just the name in 18-point, not even a mug.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

nobody wanted to look at your ugly mug anyway, frank

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bud Geracie in San Jose on Saturdays is "In the Wake of the Week."
    Greg Cote in Miami has "Random Evidence of a Cluttered Mind."

Both are notes columns, though.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

This is most likely true. Of course, I had zits then.

7. Just not "Sez Me"...

8. To me, the titles are almost always lame. Even the good ones strike me as being a little too clever for their own good.

9. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I like the way the LA Times does it and they don't really have a name for there columns but something like

Eric Something on High School etc. But its all up to you and if they had it before why not.

10. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Maybe you should call your column "I Can't Spell Plaschke."

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At LBCC I my column was called, as a ripoff of Malamud, "Notes on my parking tickets" because I had hundreds of dollars worth of parking tickets. Parking in Long Beach, near Ocean Boulevard where I lived, is bad at night, so I'd always squeeze into places I shouldn't have. Had parking tickets galore and used them to write little notes I needed to remember. I think I got 2nd place in the state awards thing.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that "This will not end well" hasn't been taken yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted