1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Column on UNC's Danny Green

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Thoughts? Strengths? Weaknesses?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney08/news/story?id=3310034

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting read.
    Did it say where the brothers were when Dad was in jail?

Did it say where the financial support came from when Dad was in jail?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He lost me in the third graf, when he didn't know or take the time to look up the name of the song Green dances to.

It's "Jump Around," which was a top-20 hit in 1992. Not "Jump Up."

EDIT after struggling through more grafs, but this one I'll put on some sort of glitch.

More than two blocks a minute? Damn, he's good.

EDITED AGAIN after getting four grafs further. The song is "A Son Never Forgets" not "Forget."

NO more edits, because I just can't get any further...but I can't comment on style when there are so many glaring errors.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it. Interesting read and I learned a lot about Danny Green.

Nitpicks: The 2005 title came during Roy's second year with the Tar Heels, not first. And the former court reporter in me can't help but point out that you when you plead it is either guilty or not guilty.

5. imjustagirl

OK, so that's FIVE errors. From a deputy editor?

Disgraceful.

OK, Alma...weaknesses: Fact-checking.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Wonder if it'll show in the magazine that way. I'm guessing not.

7. imjustagirl

So then they're admitting they don't care what goes online, as long as they get it fixed for the mag?

Still terrible.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, agreed. I saw some of the errors, too, although I really did presume "Jump Up" was the song.

Interesting how many things get through when it's "web," huh?

9. imjustagirl

And yet my paper wonders why I was even slightly resistant to all their talk of "24-hour newsroom" and "posting immediately" and all that.

Off topic, but papers are throwing shit against the wall when it comes to online, without having any real plan of what they're trying to do. They hear multimedia, so they want us all to hand-hold cameras and record stuff instead of actually getting someone who knows what they're doing to do it.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Convergence, IJAG. Convergence. ::) :mad:

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yes, most papers have no clue when it comes to what they are doing with multimedia. And some think giving the readers a comments section and having beat writers write blogs qualifies as "using the Web to its fullest."

But . . . .

Just as writing and editing are two different skills, and designing is yet another skill . . . picking up a video camera is just another skill, just another way to tell a story.

Isn't writing while also working the desk as a copy editor or designer multi-tasking anyway? We can be trained on those things. Broadcast people sometimes write or at least contribute to their own scripts. Newspaper people can learn how to use a camera, especially in an era when management is seeking reasons to decide who to cut and who to keep.

12. imjustagirl

Yes, Piotr...but that would involve taking the time to train people.

Draft saved Draft deleted