1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Column italics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 0-fer, Jul 9, 2007.

1. 0-fer

0-fer Member

Don't know if this has been addressed anywhere else (I looked, didn't see it, but I've been wrong before), but is there anything wrong with not italicizing column headlines? Unless I'm mistaken, I thought italics were used to separate columns from news, but the paper I'm at doesn't use them. I only mention it because people email and call me in reference to my "articles" as though they were news stories, when in actuality they are columns. Thoughts?

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Most readers do not understand the difference between stories and columns, and won't even if you attach a neon sign to it. Most papers do something to differentiate, whether it's a different headline font, a snazzy column sig or "This is a column of opinion by 0-fer. He/she can be reached at 555-5555.", but the washed masses don't understand that.

3. 0-fer

0-fer Member

So essentially there's no reason for concern. Thanks Del

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hopefully your paper has a design that allows differentiation of columns from the rest of copy. We use a drop cap, ragged right, and a big honkin' column bug on the cover. Our readership is not exactly Algonquinian, but it usually gets the job done.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ragged-right copy is the best possible tool for making something "look" like a column.

On this I cannot be moved. I think.

6. 0-fer

0-fer Member

In case it isn't obvious, I'm a rookie in this business, and I don't know what ragged-right means. I know we don't use a dropped cap. As far as I can tell the only thing we use to differentiate is a mug and a line at the end that says, "0-fer is the Rag's ASE. He can be emailed at xxxxx@blah.com" I guess that's probably enough. Just curious I guess.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

O-fer.. here's a lesson for you:

Readers will always refer to what you write a "your article" whether it's a column, a gamer, or a feature.

Don't worry about it.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Just like it sounds, it means the type is justified on the left (a straight line up and down) but that the words on the right don't follow a straight up-and-down line so the type is, well, ragged. The type you see on the Web is kind of ragged right.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth. The local metro helps out by putting "Commentary" under the column writer's mugshot in addition to the ragged-right typeset, but some people still don't get the difference.

10. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

... and "news" copy is justified on the left and right (straight lines on each side).

11. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

Columns and articles? Heck, a lot of my readers don't understand the difference between an article and an ad.

12. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Don't take it personally if readers confuse columns with stories and articles with ads. Just explain the differences as pleasantly as possible, without making them feel like idiots.

Even the ones who are. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted