1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Column fodder or just leave it alone?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Crimson Tide, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Now look at him how? My impression was that he was selected at random, not on the basis of some accomplishment.

My advice to members of my family would be, "DO NOT TALK TO THE REPORTER UNLESS YOU DON'T MIND THE POSSIBILITY OF LOOKING LIKE AN ASSHOLE IN PRINT. AND THAT INCLUDES THIS REPORTER!"

There are exceptions, of course. Shaun Powell writing about his brother dying on 9/11. Etc., etc.

My sister and I get along really well, and I'd like to keep it that way. That's why I don't expect I'll ever write about her.

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

My problem with this is that I don't have many good things to say about my brother. We never got along growing up, and many of our fights turned physical. I can't even write that he's proud to serve his country. He hates the Army. He joined because he's a C- high-school graduate who flunked out of junior college and got tired of working with dad at the factory. He spent a year in Korea, but most of the time, he bought DVDs, chased Korean girls, bought knockoff sports jerseys and drank a lot.

This could be a great column. You could expose the lies our parents told us about working hard, getting good grades and getting a college degree. You could point out the life lesson that none of that is really necessary, because look at your brother's example and we'll all see the real path to success in America!

3. awriter

awriter Active Member

I assumed (I know, I shouldn't assume anything) it was on merit. If he can pull it off without making the brother look like an idiot, it could be a great read.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't think these are random assignments. It might be time for crimson to take another look at his brother. And if he does and sees some things he's never seen before, it could make for one hell of a column.

Crimson's brother must be doing something right to have drawn this assigmnent. In fact, all the "screw-off" moments Crimson describes indicate things his brother would have been doing while off-duty. Certainly drinking beer and chasing Korean girls is not something he'd have been doing on duty. Crimson doesn't appear open to the idea that while on dut his brother may be one hell of a soldier.

In being open to that thought, crimson, you may learn as much about yourself as you do about your brother.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hell, I even gots your lead:

"My brother is a fuck up but he did something good this weekend - even if it was just a random accident that led him to the job.
    "The guy whose ass I used to beat, the guy too lazy to hold a real job, the guy who thought Korea was a place to build a DVD collection and chase women, that same guy guarded President Ford's casket.
    "Knock me the fuck over."

Thank me later.

Draft saved Draft deleted