1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Column fodder or just leave it alone?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Crimson Tide, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Write it. You might surprise yourself with how it turns out.

2. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

write it, after speaking to your brother pre- and post-funeral duty.

you don't have to focus on your opinion of him, though some of it could be weaved in without totally slamming him. by no means should you make up stuff to say nice things about him. sounds like it could be a great column.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm just saying he shouldn't give people a chance to tear him apart like they did Kerry. I'm not playing that talking point, but I know his readers would.

4. Which is why he should keep it personal -- me and my brother -- it could be the equivalent of Breslin's gravedigger column at JFK's funeral.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Right. Leave the "he's only in the Army because he's stupid" lines at home, not in the column.

6. awriter

awriter Active Member

Your strained relationship with your brother, and the fact that you fought as kids, isn't the story. The fact that he's guarding the former president's body is. How did someone who wasn't a great student and only joined the Army as a last resort wind up guarding the president's body? What's going through his mind leading up to this? And, later, what was it like standing guard?

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

Allow me to at least speak for your brother, who might not appreciate the less-than-flattering light in which you are about to portray him, especially as he is about to become a pseudo celebrity in his army world.
    He might not be George Bailey, but does he deserve public humiliation so you can please your ME?
    You might not be a better journalist for not writing it, but you will be a better brother

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, it took a while, but I found that. Thanks for inspiring the search. I had read that, a looong time ago, and had all but forgotten it:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/digging-grave-an-honor.htm

That style of writing remind you of anybody?

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

It's possible to do this without humiliating him.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

I understand that, but the best column would be if Crimson explored the relationship with his brother as it relates to this national moment at the funeral of Ford - any conflicts between presumed pride and admitted shame.
    But in exploring the shame, he lays out his brother's warts. I just think that kind of discussion is better done over beers, one on one, than in a column, at least one without the blessing of the brother.
    Confessionals are good for one's soul, but not always for another's.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You may not like your brother. But, he's my hero.
    Sounds like Valhalla to me.

12. awriter

awriter Active Member

All it takes is one or two sentences saying his brother was a C-minus student in high school, flunked out of junior college and worked with dad at the factory before joining the Army. Now, look at him.
    No need to run the stuff about chasing girls in Korea.

Draft saved Draft deleted