1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbus Ledger-Enquirer high school sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Kevin Price, Jul 10, 2008.

1. prhack

prhack Member

Not that it really matters, but I think you're confusing the GSWA (Georgia Sports Writers Association) with the GPA (Georgia Press Association). I believe the GSWA only has three divisions (two daily and one weekly, I'm assuming).

2. Scrubs

Scrubs Member

Nope, the Georgia Sports Writers Association awards have a ton. GPA not so much.

3. prhack

prhack Member

The GSWA certainly presents more awards to sportswriters each year, but given the fact that it's an organization for sportswriters, that stands to reason.

I still think eight (holy cow, is it really EIGHT?) divisions for the GPA is a bit much.

None of this impacts the fact that Columbus does a great job with its sports coverage :)

4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

My youngest brother has lived in or around most of the bigger cities in Georgia, and he really liked Columbus. He's in Augusta now and likes it OK, but I think he liked Columbus better. Though he prefers Augusta National to Callaway Gardens.

5. jmb51879

jmb51879 Member

I started across the river at a weekly in Phenix City, so I did a lot of reading the CLE. I like the clean look of the paper and had a buddy who strung their beat for the Columbus Catfish who had nothing but good things to say about them. Questions about the area, pm me.

6. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

just so we're clear on this, the papers that compete in our class are Atlanta, Macon, Augusta and Savannah. So I'd say the awards we won (including best sports section and best sports section layout) this year in GSWA are fairly legit...just so you know...obviously it's a stretch to say we're anywhere near the section the AJC is, but we more than hold our own against the rest.
    Thanks,
    David Ching
    Columbus Ledger-Enquirer

and anyone that has a question about the Ledger can feel free to drop me a line and I'd be glad to let you know what I think.

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

For what it's worth (probably not much), I'd completely agree with this. Just so you know, this is coming from someone unattached to the Columbus paper in any way.

8. esport12

esport12 Member

Anyone heard any movement on this seeing as high school sports will start up pretty soon.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You're still around? I thought you suffocated under a pile of toilet paper in front of that damn tree. ;)

10. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Is this the appropriate time for a 'you're hired' joke?

11. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

i finally cut my way out of the pile.

12. JohnMatrix

JohnMatrix New Member

Any movement on this?

Draft saved Draft deleted