1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbus Ledger-Enquirer high school sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Kevin Price, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Kevin Price

Kevin Price New Member

I'll probably post something on the various job boards later, but I wanted to go ahead and put the word out there now.

The Ledger-Enquirer, which is owned by McClatchy, is a 42,000/52,000 circulation paper. We are on the Georgia/Alabama border, about 90-100 miles southwest of Atlanta.

We have an opening for a high school sports writer. Robert Spruck, who has been here for almost three years, is moving back to New Jersey.

There are 16 high schools in our primary coverage area. We had state championships won in football, basketball and baseball this past school year.

We just went to an universal desk, so this person's time on the desk will be very limited.

If you are interested, e-mail me your resume and some clips to kprice@ledger-enquirer.com. No phone calls please.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I give the L-E my full endorsement. Kevin's a super guy and the high school football in Southwest Georgia is outstanding.

3. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Very solid section, especially for its size. A case could be made for it being the second-best in the state, though I'm sure Macon would have something to say about that. Good preps in the area, and you're about halfway in between Atlanta and Auburn.

This is a good job for the right person. Kevin does good work, as does his staff.

4. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

This is a pretty good paper to work for. I believe they won several awards recently from the GSWA. As mentioned before they have really good teams in the area.
    All the people I've ever met from the paper have been good people.

5. Written Off

Written Off New Member

Just one more person with good things to say. This will be a very good job for someone.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

While congratulations are in order to the Ledger-Enquirer, because of the number of classifications, GWSA awards are like participation medals.... :)

7. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Very good preps in Columbus. Good baseball, good softball especially with the state (fastpitch) softball championships held in Columbus every year.
    The city itself could be poised for more growth - the Army is relocating its armor training from Fort Knox to Fort Benning. Lots more troops and civilians headed that way.
    You're about an hour and a half from Atlanta, too.

8. Kevin Price — top-notch editor and dude. Good peeps there all the way 'round.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The town is, however, something of a hellhole.

I'd also say closer to 2 hours to Atlanta, though it's not halfway between Auburn and Atlanta. Much closer to Auburn. Not that that's necessarily a good thing. :D

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

any idea on pay?

11. Written Off

Written Off New Member

Depends on experience. I'd guess starting at $30k.

12. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Absolutely right about it not being halfway between Atlanta and Auburn. My mistake there. It's about an hour closer to Auburn, so that's a pretty big mistake. That's what I get for not mapping it out.

As far as the hour and a half goes, that's roughly how long it always took me, and I've been there several times to cover stuff. It's about 100 miles from Atlanta, which is 90 minutes in my book.

The town itself? Yeah, I agree. Not my favorite stop in Georgia. Not sure I'd go so far as to call it a hellhole, but let's just say I wouldn't necessarily want to live there. OTOH, I'd also say you could probably put up with it for a couple of years and try to move up from there. It's a very solid paper, regardless.

Draft saved Draft deleted