1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbus Family Practitioner Has Large Student Loans . . . My Heart Breaks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Well said. I'm certain there are people struggling who are doing the right things. But she wasn't the proper example.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't think so, I mean on her being a bad example.

The deal is that collection companies are relentless on student loan payments and they know what they can get away with and they will hammer you because most people don't dig into the fine print.

She's a good example of that. A $58,000 fine for missing a single deadline? That's outrageous. But on the flip side, doctors have some options.

She can go work in an economically challenged area and have a portion of her loans paid back, if not all of the loans paid back.

The programs are out there. I was a little surprised that the WSJ didn't get into her options.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

all of them

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

University of Washington Med School, which is ranked number one in the nation for physician training and sixth for research, charges roughly 46K a year.

So, four years would run you 184K, that is still a whole lot of money.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/items/04122

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Is that just tuition? Cause you're gonna need money to live on to.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Yeah, I think it is.

And Seattle is not a cheap place to live.

7. My law school is like $45K, plus living expenses, etc. But that's only three years and doctors still have to work as residents for around $40K a year for four years after graduation.

Draft saved Draft deleted