1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbus Family Practitioner Has Large Student Loans . . . My Heart Breaks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's actually an interesting story about student loan burden, but people who (foolishly) attended USC, Northwestern, Columbia or other such exhorbitantly priced school for journalism are shedding no tears for Dr. Bisutti.
  2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

They'd have been better off with a journalist with $32,000 in debt. :D
  3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The article also says she didn't always pay her bills.

I guess she thought since she was going to be a doctor, she was above it?
  4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

She didn't let the company talk about her case and she racked up private student loans. A lot of info missing.

One question is what medical school costs $250,000 over four years to attend.
  5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Harvard estimates tuition/fees/living expenses/etc at about $67,000 a year, and a quick look into the interweb tubes makes that seem not all that out of line with other places.
  6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

While she's at the extreme end, debt loads of $200,000+ are becoming increasingly common for people going to professional schools. The average med student is now graduating with loans of $156,000, with more than 58 percent breaking the $150,000 barrier.

The inability to repay student loan debt has the potential to be our economy's next mortgage crisis if the recession continues to lag. Unlike a bad mortgage, though, you can't default on your student loan debt and charge it off in a foreclosure or bankruptcy process.
  7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Meaningful health-care reform has to include a revamp of the medical school system. We simply can't have doctors that deep in debt. It's a major contributor to the cost structure.

Not to mention, if you had that kind of debt load, you'd be prevented from being a soldier or a spy -- the risk is too great that you'd be swayed by money. You could make a similar argument for doctors. There's a lot of opportunity to rip off insurance companies and even patients.

Might not be fair to judge everyone for what would surely be the actions of only a few, but we do it for soldiers and spies.
  8. I'm biased, but I don't think that it's fair to direct anger at people who paid a lot for a professional degree. It's a little too class warfare-ish for my taste. I understand that's the price and we choose to pay it, but not every doctor and lawyer is living high on the hog, especially people who pay full price to go to low-ranked law schools and don't do particularly well there. It's a gamble and some people lose, but some of the schools do prey on the naivete of 22-year-olds - our outright lie.
  9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

If she had made her payments on time (or close) and returned paperwork on time (or close), the situation wouldn't be nearly this bad. She f'd up. It's not a completely isolated story, but it's not the system's fault that she didn't hold up her end of the bargain.
  10. I agree with you. I've just seen posts in the past that veer very close to wishing ill on people in white-collar professions, and I don't think that's fair.
  11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

That's why she's a terrible anecdote for a story examining burgeoning med school debt. I'm sure you can find doctors with crushing debt who are unable or struggle to pay the minimums on time even though they are attempting to be responsible.

By using an outlier on whom we can place blame for being irresponsible, people immediately discount the underlying issue.
  12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agree. We needed a story about a typical case rather than someone who engenders disgust with her lack of personal responsibility.
Draft saved Draft deleted