1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbus Dispatch to lay off 45 from editorial

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Mar 2, 2009.

1. cbus insider

cbus insider New Member

The Dispatch is all-OSU all the time already. The sports department, at least, really could use a major retooling. In my opinion. Seriously lacking good leadership. But I digress.

The Wolfes also own a TV station, some radio, ONN and a decent group of suburban weeklies (about 20, I think, all produced at one location by one staff). Wages are frozen for those remaining. I may be wrong, but I don't think they're hiring to replace anyone who quits, either.

My understanding, and again, I could be wrong, is that it's really the daily paper that's dragging everyone down, although other entities aren't quite making budget either.

Somebody better figure this shit out quick.

2. sg86

sg86 Member

There's only one guy that would qualify for this who covers Cincy stuff. They've been getting Cleveland copy from the Plain Dealer ever since Walker left for ESPN.com.

Whoever said the sports department lacked good leadership was correct.

They have great people working there and an incredibly dedicated pool of writers, but the leader pretty much mocks the entire city of Columbus every single chance he gets, which probably doesn't help draw in the readers.

3. bmm

bmm Member

More with less - we've heard this line of crap before. The Dispatch draws most of its stuff outside of Columbus from the other Ohio papers already. It can make a few more cuts - two I believe - and get all the outside Columbus stuff from other papers, but it will probably lose a local reporter, too. I could see them going to covering OSU women basketball games on the road with other papers.

4. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

It's my understanding that ONN is bleeding money and has been for years, and therein lies one big part of the problem.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

My understanding about the Dispatch is the paper could be so much better for a city of 700,000 people (give or take). Still, Columbus does a great job on OSU athletics and it has some other good parts to it.

This sucks. Like the article said, they waited as long as possible, but the executioner visited.

6. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

For those of you with the Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=59203036834

Draft saved Draft deleted