1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbus Dispatch thinks Elway is still playing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hank_Scorpio, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, the game actually ended at 10:49 MT, but your point is still valid. I've done plenty of games on all levels that ended later. Hell, in the old days, Monday night games started at 8 pm CT and usually didn't end until around 11:20 or so.

The Denver Post has a TOTAL of three sports copy editors? For the whole section? Holy crap!!!

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the first things I was ever in charge of doing at NFL games was writing filler for the early editions that would be killed out for the final... The first thing they told me was not to write anything that would confuse the reader and never give out a score unless it's the final.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"Broncos hang tough vs. Redskins in Super Bowl

By DENVER POST STAFF

SAN DIEGO -- The Denver Broncos shut out the Washington Redskins 10-0 on Sunday to win Super Bowl XXII.

Suck on that goose egg, Doug Williams.

The game ended too late for this edition, which went to press after the first quarter."

4. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, Kiz is one of my favorite columnists, but he knows better... I completely cringed when I saw that the start to his column...

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I want to say when the Rocky was open and there was a JOA, the off-the-floor deadline for the main edition was 11:15 p.m. MT. (There was an earlier edition of about 9:45 p.m. or so that went to the mountains). And if there was something happening late, there could be extended deadlines by a half hour or so.

And as also noted, they might not have thought they needed later deadlines. Game was supposed to kick at 6:40 p.m. and didn't go until 7:13 p.m. Games last about three hours and this one went 3:38, so that's more than an hour lost right there.

6. Mizzougrad96

There are also things like election night and game night deadlines. Editors have to be willing to fight for them and I'm guessing they're not.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think the one-hour curveball and the financial implications are a lot different now than they were in the frame of reference we're talking about.

Also the fact that the newspaper is the secondary consideration changes the scales entirely.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

By DENVER POST STAFF

TOKYO -- Close, but no cigar, Buster.

James "Buster" Douglas dominated invincible heavyweight champion Mike Tyson for seven rounds Saturday night, a gutsy performance that ended shortly after Tyson floored him with a vicious uppercut in the eighth round.

Tyson, always the gamer, took punch after punch before rebounding as only a champion can, knocking Douglas to the mat with a punch out of nowhere to retain the undisputed heavyweight title.

The fight ended too late for this edition, which went to press after the eighth round.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Update to the Denver situation. This was posted on Westword (with credit to the site, of course)

Update: A Denver Post source unhappy with the criticism in this item makes the point that multiple editions of today's paper were published, and not all of them feature incomplete information about the Broncos game and Peyton Manning's seven-touchdown-pass performance. Here, for instance, is an image from the three-star edition, featuring the actual final score, 49-27:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Mizzougrad96

A friend who works there lives downtown and got the early edition delivered to his apartment.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Really... which makes you wonder who the hell gets the 3-star edition. You would think if he lived downtown he would get the last edition. That's how it used to work at our shop before the consolidation took place (1-star was outside the main delivery area, 2-star was lakeshore and 3-star was final home delivery)

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I've worked in places where the closest drop-off sites got the first edition because the trucks would deliver them on the way out to the outlying areas. There weren't enough trucks and there wasn't enough time to reload the trucks for another delivery after they returned.

Draft saved Draft deleted