1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbia's Journalism Dean on industry issues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,657957,00.html#ref=rss

A little more honest than I expected. And this line:

"From the standpoint of a student who wants to be a full-time employed reporter and find an entry-level job, things aren't so bad right now."

Very interesting. Some would disagree.

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I'm sure finding a full-time job as a reporter isn't that hard right now - if you graduated from Columbia. You're young, cheap labour from a venerable institution of journalism. But good luck to the rest of us.

3. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Young, naive and cheap are, sadly, very marketable qualities in the industry right now, so that bit is probably true.

The article wasn't complete apologism, so that's something. Still, if I were a journalism undergrad right now, I'd be prepping grad school applications rather than resumes.

4. Mediator

Mediator Member

J School has had some of the largest job fairs in recent years, probably for the reasons cited here. The young are replacement workers for trained professionals who were compensated for their expertise.

What is awful about it is that the reason you can get a job is the same reason you won't be able to keep it.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of that.

6. amoney

amoney New Member

agree. P.S. i have a degree from there

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

No kidding.

8. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Best point I've heard in years. Sadly, it's true.

9. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Exactly what I'm doing, as a graduate of the class of 2009, the most unlucky graduating class of all time.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The dean needs to warn students of the alarming trend of getting no raises, only pay cuts and furloughs, after you've been hired. This business does not treat the worker well. How many of you haven't seen a raise in two or more years? They train you to think you should be happy to just have a job. This is not a business you want to encourage anybody to get into. Bad wages, no real hope of making any money. Money may not be everything, but students should at least know what they are getting into. There's no money in this business. People that want to raise a family should be forewarned that you'll make a lot more as a manager at Best Buy.

Draft saved Draft deleted