1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colts release Peyton Manning. *UPDATE -- Mort: Manning to Broncos*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Re: Mortensen: Colts to release Peyton Manning

I don't see it. I don't think he wants to be in that media environment, and I don't think he wants to play Eli twice a year.

I'm thinking Dolphins all the way, with Cardinals as a dark horse.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

The loot may be too much to ignore.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think any team that needs a QB that takes a shot at Manning, even if they give up nothing to get him and invest minimally to sign him, is making a dumb decision (/crossthread)

If he ends up in Arizona, SF or Miami and he is healthy, any of those teams will become legit Super Bowl contenders.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If by 'skins' you mean a guy in a shirts/'skins pickup game at the Y, you may be correct.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't see him going to SF. Harbaugh won't change his offense to accommodate Manning.

I can see him in Miami since Philbin ran a similar system that the Colts ran.

AZ might have outside shot with weather and Larry Fitzgerald.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Philbin didn't run that system, McCarthy did. Philbin had the OC title, but he primarily called the running plays for a team that never runs the ball.

Mike Sherman always favored a balanced running game, even when he had Brett Favre. I think they will have to adjust considerably if Manning winds up there.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The "mentoring system's" sample size is far too small to make any conclusions about whether it can work.

And that being said, the 49ers did win with Young, and the Packers did win with Rodgers. So it's not like having the veteran stick around did any damage. There simply is no harm in having a Hall of Fame QB on your team . . . unless the cost is so prohibitive that it cripples your rebuilding effort. That's the case with the Colts. If the $28M wasn't an issue, there would be no harm in keeping him around, no matter how he and Luck would have co-existed (which would have been fine, because they are both professionals).

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I would contend Luck is better than Curtis Painter, Dan Orlovsky and Kerry Collins, combined.

9. Mizzougrad96

Ha ha... Manning was on that active roster last year too... :D

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Niners ought to give this some real consideration. A team that looks like it has a lot of pieces, almost went to the Super Bowl this year, and should be strong in that division for some return trips to the playoffs.

I'm still not convinced Manning's health is going to allow him to play, or at least for any extended time when the hits start coming, but if team should consider rolling the dice, the Niners looking at a Manning upgrade over Alex Smith could easily find the gamble worht it. And I would guess Peyton would find the SF option quite enticing.

11. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, the Niners should look at him, but they're not going to.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Peyton looks like he's lost 50 pounds.

Draft saved Draft deleted