1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colts release Peyton Manning. *UPDATE -- Mort: Manning to Broncos*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 6, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Re: Mortensen: Colts to release Peyton Manning

I could be way off, but I think that has something to do with why Young and Rodgers fared so well, and were so warmly welcomed, when they took over for the legends they replaced. There was a sense they had earned their shot and not so much that they were given it while the legend was kicked in the ass and shoved out the door.

Luck may face an uphill battle from a PR standpoint in that many Colts fans will look at Manning as having been unceremoniously dumped.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is a tough break for Luck. Although I don't think it's the case -- I think Manning is hurt way more than he's letting on and I doubt he'll ever play again -- there is certainly the argument to be made and the perception that the Colts dumped Manning primarily because of the chance to draft Luck. And if Manning does end up having 3-4 high-level years left, it's going to be even worse.

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Does this mean that Kenny Chesney's gonna be wearing a Luck Jersey now?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would argue that neither Young, nor Rodgers was initially welcomed. But MVPs and Super Bowls have a way of making fans like you.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing Kenny will spring for a Redskins or Dolphins Jersey.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Steve Young was not warmly welcomed. His first year as the starter while Montana was hurt, fans engaged in a somewhat heated debate about whether Young or Steve Bono should be the starter. His second year was 1992, and although the 49ers were 14-2 and Young was the league's MVP, there was still a solid core of fans that wanted to see the starting job reopened for the playoffs based on one half of work from Montana in a meaningless Monday night finale. So no, I don't think Young benefited from such tutelage.

Rodgers' first year was hardly smooth either. Favre still had plenty of fans around the state because his dickishness hadn't become such universally accepted knowledge. In both '08 and '09 Favre led his teams to better finishes than Rodgers did, and fans noticed it plenty.

It really won't be easy for Luck in that regard.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Rodgers certainly wasn't. Young to a lesser extent, but neither one was really "welcomed" when they took over.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Speaking for the Colts fanboi loosers, I don't think Luck is going to get grief for "pushing" Manning out. It's not like Manning was gangbusters, or merely OK, last season, and the Colts just decided Manning was too old. The guy hasn't thrown a pass in anger since the 2010 playoffs. Manning has had -- well, how many surgeries now? As I've said, if Manning could throw, the Colts would not only be shopping that first pick, but they also wouldn't have dumped so many coaches, front-office staff and others overboard.

This day is sad for us Colts fanboi loosers for many reasons. One is simply that we will never see perhaps the greatest quarterback the game has known ever throw again in a Colts uni. (We can debate whether he's the greatest, but the Colts' collapse without him sure makes a case.) Another is how it ended -- with Manning suddenly disappearing. Another is realizing his effect not only on the Colts, but also on the city of Indianapolis and state of Indiana. The guy has a children's hospital named after him, for fuck's sake. When Manning arrived, as he told Letterman, it was "car racin' and basketball," but he made the Colts a draw, made football a legit sport in Indiana (to play as well as to watch), and his success got Lucas Oil Stadium built and, thus, the Super Bowl to Indianapolis. He's been heavily involved in the community.

On the other hand, we also know that Manning probably isn't Manning anymore. By dumb Luck, pun intended, the Colts have a chance to find a legit replacement, even if he can't be, could never be, Manning. What are the Colts supposed to do? Let Painter play again while they guess whether Manning can ever throw?

Unfortunately, most of the greats don't end like Elway, winning two straight Super Bowls. It ends with Montana in a Chiefs uniform, Unitas in a Chargers uniform, Favre creating drama over whether he'll play (and who he'll play for)... the list goes on. As a fanboi looser, I hope Luck does well -- but I'm not going to expect Manning II. That'll never happen, for reasons off-the-field as well as on.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Props to Mort for breaking the story every NFL writer's been wanting to be the first to report for weeks now.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I knew this day was coming, but I still hate that it got here. Not having Manning under center next season and beyond is going to be strange.

I met him at the Kentucky Derby when I was 16 or 17, and he really is a helluva guy. Still have a picture of him with me and a couple of my friends, and I've still got his autograph somewhere at home.

But it really is going to be odd seeing someone other than Manning under center next year.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ESPN's Dave Aldridge is reporting that The Colts plan on selecting Peyton Manning as their 1st pick.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Peyton doesn't need a new contract for financial security; the amount of money the jury will award him in his lawsuit against the bounty-hunting Saints will be staggering.

Draft saved Draft deleted