1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colts PR contact?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gomer, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Hey folks, I'm wondering if anybody has a cell number for an Indianapolis Colts PR guy. A local kid made the cut and I've tried phoning the main office, but of course there's no one around this time of day.

Talked with his parents but they said they've been asked not to give out the guy's number and direct media to the team.

Any help, on-list or off would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

G

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Mon Stertitz is always a good contact.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Got his agent's number? They love to talk.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If his folks are giving you the blowoff **** screw it.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

In their defense, I imagine the kid was told this is how the Colts do it and is probably scared shitless he'll get cut if, God forbid, he talks to some guy or gal from his local paper without the Colts' holding his hand throughout the hard-hitting interview (no offense intended, Gomer, but I imagine it'd be a positive piece).

Apparently the Colts have a giant Weis-sized bug up their ass this year. I read they didn't release their final cuts to the media because they were mad at the Indy Star for talking to Vinatieri's mom about his ankle injury. Come to think of it, that's probably why this kid's parents aren't talking.

What a fucking racket, the NFL. Fuck 'em.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oh, you're right. I don't blame the folks. My screw it was directed toward the NFL.

We got some of this shit recently with a baseball player, whose family end-arounded the deal with grandma. Love those folks.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Thanks for the help gang. I called the Star last night anyhow and will hopefully hear back from their beat writer, but will try the e-mail route to the PR dep't in the meantime.

"Screw the NFL" isn't an option in this case because this is the first kid EVER from our city to be on a roster. It's a pretty big deal so I need to play nice for now and get my 1-on-1's with him.

But yeah, his parents are doing the "we don't want to hurt little Johnny's chances" thing by treating the PR instructions as gospel.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Craig Kelley runs the show there, and by running the show, I mean he runs interference to make sure your job is difficult to do. In my estimation, one of the worst teams to deal with. I don't seem to have his cell phone # anywhere. Oddly I have his home phone #. I won't post it. His direct line at work is 317-808-5112.

Vern Cheek works under him. Much nicer guy (at least he has a personality), and may be able to get more feet on the ground stuff done for you, but won't go out of his way to do anything but the bare minimum for you. It's an organizational thing. His direct line is 317-808-5113. I also have 317-716-8960 for him. Not sure if that is his cell or his home phone.

A few years ago, we did a photo shoot with Peyton Manning that I had worked hard to set up. Manning wanted to do it, so I arranged it completely through him, although we used the Colts facility for it. I don't know if the not going through them ticked them off (it was completely unecessary) or if they are just the PR types who see it as their jobs to shield players rather than act as a bridge to good access (I think it is this, based on other dealings), but Kelley was kind of a prick that day. We had agreed with Manning to work efficiently and had done dozens of shoots like this one. We were actually working quicker than most shoots of that quality and breadth normally take. We were well prepared. Set up in advance with a stand in. Were ready to go when Peyton was. We had it down to a science.

And there was Kelley was hovering over us like a vulture, virtually counting out the shots with the implied threat that he was going to pull the plug when he felt we had gotten enough. Manning didn't seem to want him doing it, but didn't stop him. In situations like that you need to ignore the douche and keep working and just push the limits as far as you can. You don't even acknowledge his "let's wrap this up" crap--we had not even come close to abusing our time compared to the time we would typically get from players on the same level as Manning. You just keep working. But if Kelley had actually stuck his nose in any farther, I would have chopped it off.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fighting every urge to keep my mouth shut on this issue ... :mad: :mad:

10. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

It's not just the NFL. Have had similar problems with small-time college athletes and minor league baseball players as well.

Some times it is an organizational thing, some times it is a power-hungry, egotistical media relations person who strikes the living fear of God into players.

Just roll with it.

11. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

Backing you up, Ragu. I couldn't believe how unprofessional Craig Kelley was in my dealings with him.

12. trounced

trounced Active Member

Polian's the problem in Indy in terms of access. Craig Kelley was really good to work with under Marchibroda/Tobin.

Draft saved Draft deleted