1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colorado's latest plague ... brown grass

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Jul 27, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Leave it to a good old all-American HOA to be completely oblivious.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/life/drought-what-drought-homeowners-fined-brown-lawns

No word if the fine doubles if a wildfire turns grass from brown to black.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm not wasting water to keep grass green.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The day any HOA got dime one from me would be a very cold day in hell.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Don't know how many folks live in Colorado close enough to Denver to listen to KALC, but Slacker and Steve had an entertaining hour about folks' HOA horrors yesterday.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Lack of an HOA was the biggest attraction when I bought a house eight years ago.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

HOAs can go pound sand ...

My parents' last two houses were in neighborhoods with HOAs. Cannot believe they paid HOA dues to live in single-family houses. The first one fined neighbors for stupid crap like this, set guidelines for what colors families could paint their front doors ... just all sorts of ridiculous crap. Also in an area prone to snow and other inclement winter weather, at least compared to where I'm originally from. Could not recall a time where the roads were cleared, yet there was a fine if the sidewalks weren't cleared by the residents within 24 hours.

At the second one, I helped my mother sell an extra vehicle. Put up a "For Sale" sign on the vehicle, and eventually used a grease pencil built to write on the windows. That got shouted down ... and keep in mind that the vehicle was otherwise in the driveway, same as every other vehicle. It wasn't parked curbside and it certainly wasn't placed in a spot in the lot where others might place their pink flamingos.

And, people PAY for this kind of harassment? Do not understand it, for any reason.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Our HOA doesn't have the power to enforce any of its rules. Dues go mostly for keeping common areas mowed, which is awesome for us, since we at a dead end of a side street next to the woods.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Heard it yesterday while driving back from the mountains -- and past lots of brown grass.

9. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Grass is green as can be in northern Colorado. ... then again the landlord has the sprinklers set to go off 4 times a day. It's a drastic contrast to the neighbors brown lawn.

Draft saved Draft deleted