1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colorado State fires/hires AD in same day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt Stephens, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

The BYU-independent route.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Gary Barnett is apparently interested in this job.

3. Matt Stephens

Last week, one of my sources told me he met with Kowalczyk about the gig, despite Fairchild still being the coach. Starting to wonder if this could have been part of the firing.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think Barnett would be a good hire. Katie Hnida can coach special teams.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

For the sake of argument let's say the Mountain West is as good as the Pac 12.

And I agree that in Colorado the Broncos are the dominant football team in terms of interest, by a lot. But CU is still able to attract a lot more interest than CSU.

So back to my original point. What benefit does CSU get by spending the extra money to be a Division 1-A school? Who, besides some die-hard fans would really care if they went 1-AA. Why should a Colorado taxpayer fund the football program at the 1-A level?

I do not think this is question confined to CSU. I think the same question can be asked about most schools that play in a conference without an eight figure television contract.

6. Matt Stephens

I get what you're saying. To me, the better question is, "why does The Mtn. exist?" I a lot of people feel it has hurt recruiting in the conference, as the national spotlight ESPN used to give the MWC has shrunk, all in the name of a "national" network that the majority of cable providers outside the conference market don't carry. I got DirecTV here in Arkansas, ONLY so I could watch MWC games since it was the only option.

Draft saved Draft deleted