1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colorado Springs lays off 23, including 10 in the newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Mar 5, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.gazette.com/onset?id=19765&template=article.html">
    Anybody know how bad sports got hit? Hopefully they escaped, but I'm guessing not.</a>

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

David Sell visited the other day. Maybe he'll come back.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1050619/

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

shit!

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Here is what Dave Sell says in the other thread on the subject:

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And once again, with this stand-up post, Dave Sell displays the openness and class many of his brethren lack.

When I was looking for a job in my past life, Dave not only called me out of the blue to tell me he hired Milo for the columnist gig I was considered for, but told me how the process worked and what went into the decision for that position and others available at that time.

Those looking to move up would do well to follow Dave's closing advice. He's a class act.

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

It appears there is a corporate-wide shakeup going on. I know some guys at another Freedom shop and the SE there said they have been told there will be no out-of-town travel to cover anything, news or sports.

Somehow, I doubt that will apply to the OC covering the Angels' east coast swing.

8. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Shouldn't be surprising ... heard on the Hacky grapevine last year that a Freedom corporate mandate installed time clocks for everyone -- reporters and deskers -- to punch in and out on. No more just filling in 40 hours at the end of the week. No more working from home.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I also noted in the story that their editorial cartoonist is retiring. Any bets on whether he'll be replaced?

More and more papers are saying "we'll just choose from syndicated cartoonists." What are they going to do when all the papers say that?

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I work at a Freedom paper and I can confirm the timeclock thing. I'm used to it at this point, but the old way of just filling in 40 hours certainly was easier and more convenient. With the time clock, I sometimes end up with 38 hour weeks that I would have filled in as 40 before. But on the flip side, I've got other weeks where I end up at 41, 42 or 43 hours, and I get overtime, which they pay. So it all evens out in that regard as far as I'm concerned.

I work at one of Freedom's smaller papers, but I've not heard of any mandate regarding not covering anything out of town. Of course, the only out-of-town stuff we cover is high school state championship-type stuff anyway, so it's unlikely to affect us.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Which shop is that? OCR or Mesa?

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

OC Register. And if they tried that, LA Times would laugh them right out of SoCal.

Not that the LA Times is the paragon of how to do everything right, mind you... :)

Draft saved Draft deleted