1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colorado regents vote to close J-school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 14, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn. Missed it by that much.

2. JackS

JackS Member

Obviously, because never in this thread did I write "anyone" could thrive in journalism. In fact, I've gone out of my way to say I don't think that's the case. My exact words were:

...if you're talented, persistent and FLEXIBLE, you can survive and even thrive.

3. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Let me guess: Flexible, meaning you'll work anywhere, even some remote outpost for who knows how long.

Persistent, meaning you'll keep doing it without thinking about why, even for free.

Sorry, but your type of advice is a huge reason why the "profession" is in serious trouble.

4. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Ah, it's the "You must hate America!" argument.

Tell you what: As soon as you uproot the philosophy that people don't or won't read and that it's pointless to spend time digging into issues because "no one cares," then you can toss this one out. Until then, it's silly.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It's also in trouble because people are too easily convinced it's preferable to complain than try to do something about it. There's a middle ground between "Follow your dreams an everything will work out" and "I can't get ahead, so fuck it."

Draft saved Draft deleted