1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colorado regents vote to close J-school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

THE FIRST RULE OF JOURNALISM IS YOU DO NOT GO INTO JOURNALISM!

2. JackS

JackS Member

Just remember what your position is advocating.

Let the untalented and lazy take over the industry (insert punchline about how they already have here) because no one encourages the talented and dogged to enter it.

See what kind of country we have then.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You say you're 25? Call me when you're 35 and have been in the rodeo a while. I was full of piss and ambition at 25 too. No one could tell me I wasn't going to make it at 25. Then I saw how obedience and ass-kissing trumped talent and flexibility for a decade.

4. JackS

JackS Member

I wish I was 25. I've been in the business 25 years.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

So then you've REALLY seen it :)

6. JackS

JackS Member

Yeah, and somehow I'm a pleasant old matador.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

Well someone needs to be. Be a damn boring place if we all agreed.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've had a few friends ask me to talk their kids out of going into journalism.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I wouldn't do that. Talking a kid out of their dreams is often a losing proposition.

It's better to give as much honest information as possible, and allow them to make their own decisions.

Some will still do very well working in sports media. They just should avoid newspapers.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You inserted my punchline, dammit! :)

I can see you're coming at it from the academic side, which is always more idealistic. I accept that and I understand your POV. I just hope you're mixing in some reality so kids don't get to be 32 and wonder WTF JackS was talking about with all the riches that await. It seems like journalism is one field that stands out for its graduates not knowing or caring about the financial picture.

11. JackS

JackS Member

I may have more of an academic point of view than people who have no connection to academia, but I assure you I still spend WAY more time in the trenches than in the ivory tower.

They don't let adjuncts in the tower. ;)

12. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Your point about "anyone being able to thrive" in journalism shows you don't know much about the trenches.

I did laugh when I saw your post about being in the business for 25 years, though, because I knew someone would misread it and think you were 25.

I guess in addition to not doing math, some journalists don't read well, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted