1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colorado regents vote to close J-school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree with Starman. If you major in journalism at this point, you're insane. If you want to major in something else and write for the paper on the side, fine...

It's no longer a viable profession, sad as it is to say...

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

In my best Cochran:

If UCF is a fit, the list is not legit.

3. JackS

JackS Member

Are my recent students now working at SI, NBC and the Wall Street Journal insane?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No, they are the exceptions.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A deeper understanding of journalism isn't the end. It's another step in the process of doing better journalism. Nobody goes to college to understand journalism better *just for the sake of understanding journalism better.*

6. JackS

JackS Member

Yeah, well that's part of my original point. Let's not make blanket statements.

I'm glad the "exceptions" didn't have people discouraging them.

7. RickStain

If they are recent students, it's a little early in the game to decide if they've won or not.

8. JackS

JackS Member

Exactly the kind of attitude I despise right there. I guarantee you I will continue encouraging them.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

They are also very young. I have no doubt about their talents, but let's see where they are and what they're doing once they get on the wrong side of 30, never mind once they approach 40.

10. RickStain

All of which, in the end, is dedicated to the production of actual, working journalists.

I'm not saying there's no academic side to it at all. I'm saying that if you start breaking it down by ratio, the "career prep" side takes up much more time, attention and resources than the academic side.

11. RickStain

Okay.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Journalism, as a field, isn't going away. It's simply changing, like a lot of other fields. There will always be a need for people who can research, interview, report and write with clarity, no matter what the platform.

Draft saved Draft deleted