1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colorado regents vote to close J-school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think he wrote that he was embarrassed to be an alum after the whole female kicker scandal.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That mindset probably wasn't changed by the Dan Hawkins era. In fact, except for AFA college football in Colorado sucks outloud because CSU is absolutely terrible.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Been in the works for a while.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/67503/

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/79378/

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's still pretty big news. That was a pretty good J-school.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'll catch flack for this but, with the business being what it is, they should offer a two-year program for journalism at the community college level, like they do with nursing programs. It seems silly to accumulate four years of debt to earn $25,000 if you're lucky, while nurses come out of a two-year program and make twice that if not more.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

You won't catch flack from me.

Good on CU.

Big difference though: Nobody goes to college expecting to make a living in philosophy or staking their hopes and dreams on getting a job in philosophy.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Other than my sister ... I have no idea what is wrong with her.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Prove it!

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ain't that the truth!!! I'm sure the move has far more to do with dollars on the university's part than any theorectical belief. Liberal arts universities have long prided themselves on "teaching people to think" rather than handing down any specific skill set. Hey, you want a marketable skill, go to a trade school.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Who gets a history degree or an English degree or even a political science degree and thinks it will translate into a job?

A journalism education teaches critical thought, logic, and technical writing. Every school worth a damn makes you take a foreign langauge to get into the program. The fact that the media industry is changing and newspaper jobs are hard to get is a moronic reason to drop journalism as a major.

What job does American Studies get me upon graduation? Theology?

It's a liberal arts degree, folks. You make of it what you will. And if the media world screws you over, you can still write well and summarize a large amount of information quickly and accurately. There are much worse fates.

/coughcoughcreativewritingcough

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm not sure how much critical thought is taught in American universities, but that's a rant for another day.

I think people on this board, who are primarily in newspapers — and may feel stuck there — are forgetting that a giant journalism world is open to graduates these days. The trick is finding the right niche, but there's 8,000 niches out there for which a journalism degree can help one get started.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

That is fucking funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted