1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colorado is on fire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

For some reason, I received an e-mail at work that said that the fires were an act of terrorism, done by Russian special forces. It also said that there were explosions in Michigan, including an underground nuclear explosion (and we didn't hear about it because of a media blackout), and blamed the Russians for that.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Some family friends are still happy to go shooting in the forest in Colorado, while at the same time expressing their deep concern over how others could be so careless to start a fire.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You're getting those too? I blocked the email address and didn't get the one about the fire, just the ones about the Russians trying to trigger the New Madrid fault via an underground nuclear explosion in Michigan (as opposed to Missouri or Arkansas where the fault is actually located).

Why the idea Russian special forces are setting fires in the west is ridiculous, I'm sure several fires this summer will be intentional.

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Make it three. But don't worry, I've already alerted the FBI, local news outlets (including ourselves) ... but not the federal gub'ment.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fire moving closer to the Academy. Goal is to hold off the fire at the Academy's borders. If that fails, firefighters will fall back to protect hospital, cadet area.

"We're facing a potentially devastating disaster right here," Academy superintendent Lt. Gen. Mike Gould said. "We're well prepared."

6. MileHigh

Obama will tour the fire area Friday.

7. MileHigh

This gives you an idea of how big the evacuation area is.

http://www3.gazette.com/fire/

And a cousin just posted photos of a new fire started by lightning picking up steam in Mesa Verde, in the hills above Cortez.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have relatives who live in the Black Forest area in the Springs and I don't think they've been evacuated yet.

9. MileHigh

That's on the east side of I-25, yes? It seems it would take a lot for the fire to jump I-25, but at this point, nothing would surprise me.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seeing some tweets that it's now raining in Colorado Springs.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Got the same report from my cousin. Not sure how much rain is coming down yet, but anything is good at this point.

12. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Just saw this on yahoo's front page. Teased it with something about the fire dwarfing a large football stadium.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted