1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colorado is on fire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 26, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It has been a disastrously dry spring/early summer and there are fires everywhere in the state. It's a tinderbox and it's going up in flames at the drop of a hat.

The one in Fort Collins has been going for weeks. A new one started above Boulder this afternoon (lightning). And tonight, the Waldo Canyon Fire in Colorado Springs exploded and many, many homes are burning to the ground. It's unreal watching this. 30,000 have been evacuated down there.

Here's a picture from late this afternoon. That's the Air Force Academy's football stadium in the foreground.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone affected -- and it's lots of people.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That photo is frightening and amazing.

Matt Stephens had been updating us on his brush with it over here:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/90556/

But he hasn't checked in in a while. We're all hoping he's OK.

3. MileHigh

He's down in the city, like my sister and her family, and the fire near Fort Collins has stayed in the mountains, though it has claimed lots of homes. The thunderstorms that were predicted today were more lightning and wind. And it's supposed to stay dry for the next week, so this can go on for a while.

4. MileHigh

Another from the Springs. It's a freakin' inferno:

[​IMG]

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wow, those are some amazing, scary photos. Friend and former colleague of mine in Montana has a much smaller fire just a couple of miles from her place.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Fairly large chunk of NW Colorado Springs is under a mandatory evacuation order.

http://www.kktv.com/news/wildfires

The Air Force Academy is also being evacuated:

[​IMG]

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This is so absolutely foreign to my mind. I have friends who have been through it, and I just can't comprehend waking up and looking out my window and seeing my town on fire. With nothing you can do.

My thoughts with all those affected in ANY of the wildfires.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Live stream from KKTV.

http://www.kktv.com/video/live

9. MileHigh

Winds got up to 65 mph down there today. There's no stopping a fire with that kind of wind, with how dry it is.

For perspective, this is the northwest portion of the Springs, up against the Rampart Range. There are multiple homes gone. It was called 'structure to structure ignition."

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Today was the fifth straight day in triple digits along the Front Range and the sixth or seventh overall and it's still June. Very unusual for these parts. Add on that most places haven't had significant precipitation since that early February snow dumping and it was only a matter of time. And, again, unfortunately it's only June.

11. MileHigh

[​IMG]

And the command post is now being evacuated.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I hate to pile on anyone's disaster, but that photo is Pulitzer quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted