1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Color photos of post-Depression America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

dprince57 likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is that Rosie the Riveter in the first photo, red bandana chuggin' what she's chuggin'?
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That would cut into your posting time here.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not really. I have two screens at my desk. #21stCentury
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. Awesome.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Love seeing that stuff. Although there is not a single good Andy Griffith Show episode in color, however.
  7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Would those women rather be beautiful or smart?
  8. Howard Sprague catching Old Sam is the only one that comes close.
  9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I generally think of photos from the early 40s as the WWII era rather than the "emerging from Depression" era. But they are great photos. Now I might have to buy that book.
  10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Smithsonian Magazine did a piece on Pie Town and Russell Lee years ago:

The name alone would make a stomach-growling man wish to get up and go there: PieTown. And then too, there are the old photographs—those moving gelatin-silver prints, and the equally beautiful ones made in Kodachrome color, six and a half decades ago, at the heel of the Depression, on the eve of a global war, by a gifted, itinerant, government, documentary photographer working on behalf of FDR’s New Deal. His name was Russell Lee. His Pie Town images—and there are something like 600 of them preserved in the archives of the Library of Congress—portrayed this little clot of high-mountain-desert New Mexico humanity in all of its redemptive, communal, hard-won glory. Many were published last year in Bound for Glory, Americain Color 1939-43. But let’s get back to pie for a minute.

Read more: History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian
    Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! Give the gift of Smithsonian
    Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

There's a book about Doris Claudill:

Pie Town Woman: The Hard Life and Good Times of a New Mexico Homesteader

Been meaning to buy it forever. I'll be passing through New Mexico in a bit and want to pass through Pie Town. Haven't the last few times, but hope to this time.
  11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That should inspire this local headline:
    Machine Head in Pie Town
  12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted