1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colo. State student paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cougargirl, Sep 24, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That I agree with. I wrote news, opinion and entertainment when I was at my university's daily paper. At the biweekly paper where I was managing editor, I wrote all of that and sports. I also paginated and took photos. Once I leave where I am now, I'd probably have stop being able to write about anything and everything.

2. housejd

housejd Member

The editorial in question was not written in opposition to Bush. It was written to generate dialogue, the EIC said. The apparent idea was to generate more dialogue than a normal editorial. The paper's apparent reasoning was that students are too unaware of their first amendment rights, and the paper wanted to get students thinking about it or something along those lines.

The idea of it was good. Execution, not so much. In my opinion, "fuck" should only be used when it is absolutely integral to the story, such as Podunk University President told Podunk head football coach to "fuck off." And maybe that's even pushing it.

I know college newspapers have some liberty, but damnit, why compromise credibility? It just adds to the stigma, I think, that students "play" journalists.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i call bullshit. sounds like the excuse they're making after the fact to try to appear like they were championing free speech. this kid simply wanted to be "the cool kid" that used fuck in the school paper.

4. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

Actually, I think that says GateHouse on the Web site. Sweatshop either way.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Fuck no.

6. ezduzit

ezduzit Guest

Read this editorial by Josh Moon in the Montgomery Advertiser about Auburn's upset over Florida this past Saturday. Does anyone else find this unprofessional and most of all stupid?

GAINESVILLE -- I have witnessed a lot of surprising things in my life. I've seen a head coach at one of the most prestigious football schools in the land get fired for picking up a chick in a strip club. I've seen a squirrel water-ski. And I've seen a guy as dumb as a fence post be elected president -- twice.

But none of that comes close to equaling what I saw Saturday night at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium: Auburn 20, Florida 17.

Your mouth has to be open to even type it.

This was not some funky, Florida-played-horribly, Auburn-took-advantage-of-Gator-mistakes sort of win.

7. I believe that's called a "column" in the business and not an "editorial."
    And, no, although by midweek, Moon will be hearing from the H&C bookers, I'm sure.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Interesting Westword piece about the saga.

http://www.westword.com/2007-10-04/news/buck-fush/full

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

This is what happens when egos run wild in college newsrooms and students stop listening to the professionals who are on staff to save them from this shit. The kid had no idea what he was walking into, though he's a glory whore of the highest order without question. He needed this kind of lesson on this small of a stage, though he probably should have seen enough even at this point of his career to know better.

I am now an adviser to a college newspaper so I see many, many, many more college newspapers than anybody should ever have to see. I cannot speak to what the journalism school at Colorado State offers, but as far as their student newspaper, it's damn solid and their advising crew is one of the best I've met.

Kids like this come along every now and again and the job of an adviser is, in many ways, to save them from themselves. And then there are those who won't learn until they're on Bill O'Reilly.

Draft saved Draft deleted