1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colo. sports editor hurt at football game (updated: how you can help page 4)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oggiedoggie, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Colo. sports editor badly hurt at football game

I guess my former co-worker was lucky to be at a union paper.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

WHAT wasn't a correct ruling?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I guess so. To me it seems that if someone is drunk and falls down at their hotel while on the road for work they aren't working. Otherwise, employees on the road would be on the clock 24 hours.

And if they are determined to be working, I can see how the company would take a dim view of you drinking.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mizzou's buddy. The cause of his injury was his own drinking.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So they'd have to fire his boss then?

6. Re: Colo. sports editor badly hurt at football game

As in fire your drunk ass!

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Works for me.

8. Mizzougrad96

Everybody was drinking. The boss was ordering the bulk of the liquor, in part to make people feel more comfortable because who wants to drink with their boss sitting there.

Was the dinner something we had to go to? I would have said yes, even though it was a situation where why wouldn't you go. It was at one of the nicest Steakhouses in town, we knew the SE was putting it on his card so we wouldn't get any grief about the bill. Of the 25 of us who traveled for that game, I think 22 went to the dinner. It was kind of our reward for a week of hell since we'd all been working our asses off.

Was it fun? Absolutely.

Was it a work function? Most definitely.

I think the guy deserved to have his bills covered. Although I never heard what was said in the back rooms, I think my SE did as well, especially since he didn't want all of us giving depositions about what happened that night.

I felt bad for my SE as well because he was trying to be an appreciative boss and do something cool for us.

This happened more than a decade ago and the guy is still at the same paper.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

What was his BAC?

10. Mizzougrad96

He was never tested. He didn't drive. He was walking up some steps at the hotel, he fell and broke his wrist. I know the union tried to make the argument that nobody could prove he was still drunk when he fell. I didn't buy that for a second, but how do you prove that alcohol caused someone to fall?

Even if it did, I think he deserved workman's comp. He was on the road working and did nothing wrong.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Salaried employees already are.

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

That's a tough call. I'm no lawyer, but it just seems a stretch.

What if you're at home and there's a going-away party for a co-worker after the shift? The boss is going. You go. Do you put in for overtime?

I believe when you are on the road for work you an entitled to be compensated for your time every minute you are there (as in getting paid or getting a comp day even if there's a day on the road when you don't "work," an off day or a travel day.) But an injury like this?

Anyway, glad it worked out for the guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted