1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colo. intern finds out you can't just copy & paste the NYT archive

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DisembodiedOwlHead, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I guess one of many good things that the Mitch Albom incident has wrought is the outrage over this stuff seems stronger now and punishment is quick. But there are people, some celebrated on this board, who used to think nothing of just inserting stuff into their stories, even quotes stolen from other writers who got them in one-on-one interviews.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm sure many people still think nothing of it, Magic.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There was nothing good about the Albom incident. He got away with it. Period. Then tried to throw editor in front of the train to save his sorry self.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I agree with that. But at least it caused enough of a hubbub that the industry had to take a look at itself. I don't know this for a fact but I think they're periodically running that plagiarism software here on writers.

5. duckncover

duckncover Member

Both times I encountered something like this in my career it was plain laziness.

One was at my first paper, when the city reporter turned in a story about the council meeting the night before. Turns out, several items he wrote about didn't happen. He hadn't gone, just spun a bunch of shit from the agenda. What a moron.

The other was a prominent metro columnist who just copied and pasted stuff from other writers into his columns. Claimed it was an oversight. He was summarily "retired." I was sickened.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Re: Colo. intern finds out you can't just Ctrl-Z the NYT archive

[/quote]

That's my reaction as well.

Seriously, I find it hard to beleive the parents, muchless the school administrators let you do that.
    I agree with you 100 percent, but I find really hard to beleive you get away with it.

[/quote]

There's no "getting away with it." Good administrators will back you up. So will good department headfs.

I have worked very hard to make it disciplinary issue (in-school suspension) for this and other forms of cheating.

Of course, some kids make it easy by leaving the web address on the bottom of the wikipedia article they turned in as a report.

7. That's my reaction as well.

Seriously, I find it hard to beleive the parents, muchless the school administrators let you do that.
    I agree with you 100 percent, but I find really hard to beleive you get away with it.

[/quote]

There's no "getting away with it." Good administrators will back you up. So will good department headfs.

I have worked very hard to make it disciplinary issue (in-school suspension) for this and other forms of cheating.

Of course, some kids make it easy by leaving the web address on the bottom of the wikipedia article they turned in as a report.
    [/quote]

I don't where you live, but here we don't fail kids. They don't flunk. So it's pretty damn hard to enforce punishments for things like plagarism.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Weighing in late on this one. I'm sure Hailey will leave it off the resume and find a full-time gig somewhere.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Served with a bottle of Perrier?

10. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Hailey's first concern should be finding a new college, because she's likely to be expelled from UF. From their J school dean's Facebook page addressing this...

"Plagiarism will never be tolerated at the University of Florida."

11. duckncover

duckncover Member

Is she good looking? I might have a spot for her. Not a job, per se...

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, last time I had to nail somebody on this, I had to deal with a 30-minute phone call from Mom saying the punishment was way too harsh, that everybody plagarized (and said kid was just the one I singled out) and I was ruining his chances of making it.

I thought dealing with soccer and swimming parents irate about their kid not getting a scholarship was bad ...

Thankfully, plagarism is very clearly dealt with in the school handbook, so I have backing.

Draft saved Draft deleted