1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colo. intern finds out you can't just copy & paste the NYT archive

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DisembodiedOwlHead, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Re: Colo. intern finds out you can't just Ctrl-Z the NYT archive

It took me a minute ... But, Uh, I see what you did there ... Clever, clever boy.

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Re: Colo. intern finds out you can't just Ctrl-Z the NYT archive

The thing is that it's just lazy. How long would it take to read the information, and write it in your own words with a "as the New York Times reported. . ."

Just lazy -- or maybe insecure enough about their own skill, so they tried to make themselves look good by using other's work. I don't know.

Makes you wonder how many other times this has happened and somebody was never caught.

3. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

The interesting thing to me is that, in this case, it was not a matter of plagiarizing facts and reporting. It was, at least according to the examples cited by the editor, a matter of the intern plagiarizing writing style. She wrote a story about Colorado's homeless, but described it in the same way the Times did.

Not sure I've seen that before. . .

4. John Kaltefleiter

John Kaltefleiter New Member

Worked with a guy/dirtbag a few years back that was busted and fired for plagiarism. Guy had been in the biz almost a decade and to me did it because he became lazy and felt overwhelmed during football season. What was ironic is the writer he ripped off was a recent graduate of the D-1 university that the dirtbag covered. Considered the guy a friend until the plagiarism thing hit. Never forgave him for putting myself and our other stand-up colleagues at the shop in that position.
    Never will.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm amazed at the variety of stories she stole from. New Zealand sheep, homeless, South African slums. What on earth would a Colorado intern be doing writing about violence in Diepsloot? Or was she comparing the crime wave in a slum to the crime wave that hits when the county fair is in town and decided to use the same phrases?

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm reduced to recycling all of my old jokes. In this case, I couldn't pass it up.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

When the current editor of my old college rag lifted quotes from CNN.com stories and nothing was done about it, nothing surprises me.

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Yes, I botched the Ctrl command in the subject line - but it was my original work !

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"Rocket surgeon?" Were you in the same class with that kid?

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

"Rocket surgeon" was the joke, and now that it has been explained, it's not funny anymore.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Bobby Johnson got a few chuckles at SEC Media Days one year with the "It's not rocket surgery" line. I got it.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's still funny because of the number of people who don't catch on.

Draft saved Draft deleted