1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Collision Low Crossers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just finished the book about NY Jets 2011 season by Nick Dawidoff. It immediately goes
    to the top of the list of one of best sports books that I've ever read.

Dawidoff spent the entire season with The Jets from The Combine on. Had complete access
    with no restrictions.

Book gives you a good picture of how dysfunctional The Jets were. Also a
    great insight into what a grind an NFL season can be for both coaches and
    players.

Mike Pettine leaving for The Bills was no longer a surprise after reading this book.

The fact that the book has not received more acclaim shows how the book industry
    is not near what it once was.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I read it too, agree with all you said, Boom, it is a great book.

3. Boom_70

Clear that Ryan's lack of commitment / understanding was part of reason why Jet Offense was so bad.

Book answered one of questions that I've always had on one of big plays in 2011 season when Tebow
    made that end of game TD for The Broncos and Cromartie did not even attempt to tackle him. Both teamates
    and coaches were appalled.

Amazing how as extensively covered that The Jets are by the NY beats, that so many stories were missed/ went
    unreported.

Some of Revis thoughts on Belechick make it hard to believe that he is now a Patriot

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Thought it did a great dealing with all the personalities there, like Ryan and his staff, Sanchez, Cromartie, Revis and even a guy like Wayne Hunter who I knew little about.

5. Boom_70

Yes the Wayne Hunter portrayal was fascinating to me. Had no idea that he
    was so highly regarded. Also no idea of his temper. Liked the anecdote of the
    back up DB who pissed Hunter off and Ryan told him to just leave practice and go home for his own safety. Don't even stop to change. Just leave ASAP.

Draft saved Draft deleted