1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colleges turning their backs on the SAT and ACT scores

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Apr 16, 2007.

1. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

It's strange that the standardized tests are now viewed as tools of the elite, keeping the poor kids down.

At one time, standardized tests were seen as great levelers. The tests meant that a kid at South Topeka High could at least compete on the same playing field as someone who went to Elite Eastern Academy.

I went to a large, suburban high school, and I knew a lot of uber-achievers who always worked very hard and always got straight A's and were, frankly, dumb as rocks. If I were an admissions counselor, I would like to have a test to identify those students from the smart students.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Layman, I've no doubt you do a honorable, honest job putting the best possible class together for your college/university. I also have no doubt you'd do just as well without ever looking at the SAT.

3. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Maybe. But, we also want every piece of information we can get. I don't want to limit my snapshot of what a prospective student's capabilities may or may not be. My job is as much about saving kids (and families) from academic (and financial) trouble, as it is assembling a good class.

Hey, I don't want to come across as a huge defender of the tests. They are, ABSOLUTELY, flawed. Actually, the most "destructive" use of the tests isn't in the admission decision process....it's in the financial aid process. Entirely too many schools (privates) base their academic scholarship / competitive aid (not need-based) decisions on a matrix which gives WAY too much weight to the test scores.

Truth be told, I'm not sure I'D have been admitted to the school I currently work at. Tends to keep things in perspective, when I'm dealing with students we deny......

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

When NYU stood for No Yids University and CCNY stood for Circumscised Citizens of New York, there was segregation in New Yorks Colleges. Jews couldn't get into NYU, let alone Columbia or Harvard, there were quotas. An elderly family member 60 years ago was denied admission to Johns Hopkins medical school, after graduating Johns Hopkins as an undergrad with high honors, because they already admitted their Jewish student for the year. The advent of SATs put Jews on a level playing field with those who went to private boarding schools. Now we're told that SATs are the domain of the rich and middle class, well that comprises 75% of America. It allowed for the children of the working poor to have equal standing with the truely rich. Not any more because what worked to economically and socially integrate higher education doesn't work for blacks. It worked for everyone else, including the Asians and Hispanics today. Because the black kids can't cut, we need to scrap it. FUCK THAT SHIT. It works for everyone but the African Americans, maybe the fault lies not with the tests.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Another Dumbfuckistan precinct reports.

6. Simon_Cowbell

All of the dumbest people I know tested poorly.

7. Simon_Cowbell

It's as good a predictor of capability as any aspect

8. Simon_Cowbell

Back when this country was much smarter.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Drinking the rainbow Kool-Aid.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Hi, my name is farmerj and I didn't take my ACTs or SATs. I got into Syracuse, LeMoyne and Wells without them.

Just my .02.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Just because you didn't take them doesn't mean you wouldn't have done well on them.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

fo shinizzle

Draft saved Draft deleted