1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colleges turning their backs on the SAT and ACT scores

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Apr 16, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

It's about what you are exposed to. Is it fair to penalize a kid from Anacostia because he doesn't know the square root of 9 and praise the kids from the suburban school who does?

2. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Actually, it's a pretty straight forward process. All selective admission schools (what we're talking about here) have a prior history of all applicants (as well as admits) from every HS they've previously dealt with. Simple answer: class rank and prior history of like applicants from the particular high schools. Nothing nearly as insidious as Twoback implies.....and yes, this is what i do for a living.

3. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I don't have a problem with giving the test scores less weight, but do not require that they be submitted is a little iffy. I mean, if you score a 850 on your SAT, there's no way you would send it in if your grades are good, and I think it gives an incomplete picture of your abilities. At least require that they be submitted, and then pay no attention to them if you want.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with standardized tests or using those scores. They are not end all, but some schools are better than others and a kid in the 75th percentile in one school may just be more qualified than a kid in the 97th percentile in another.

Suburban schools have similar problems, you have a set of kids taking all AP classes and another that take the regular set of classes, a kid that pulls in all b's abd b+'s in AP will score rings around the kid that gets A's in the regular. The AP kid gets penalized for taking the harder track. Some schools now give weighted grades to equalize it.
    The SATs are the equalizer. They show how school work may be a measure of how much a kid worked and is capable of but the SATs put it in context.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And SATs have been proven over and over and over again to be a bad predictor of actual academic success in college.

6. boots

boots New Member

But again Abbott, it's a test on what you've been exposed to as a student.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This was me, too. I didn't get terrible grades in high school. But I was an underachiever who frustrated the hell out of teachers; a complete goofball. I did well enough to get into college, but I got into a better school that I deserved because I had good SAT scores. I'm not sure how fair that was, but I'll take it. From what I know about how competitive it has gotten, I should be glad I was applying then and not now.

I did well and graduated from college, so in my case they might have been a good predictor of success. ;) I can't say why I got serious at that age. I just did.

8. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Bad? No. They're an incomplete indicator. That's why, in a competitive admission process, they're but one of a large number of elements considered. They do help round out a complete picture, though.

Frankly, this entire article smacks a bit too much of "Look at us!" Rollins, as well as most selective admit. schools (including my current employer) has been de-emphasizing standardized test scores as part of their overall decision matrix, for years. It's far more of a cheap PR move, than a major change in the way competitive admit schools do business.

9. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Perfect example of where the test scores do work. Or.....in what's becoming a REAL challenge for us.....the home schooled child. In most cases, it's not all that hard to be valedictorian of Sofa Side High (and no....that's NOT meant to be a slam on home schooling). In a competitive admit. scenario.....we've got to have SOMETHING to work with. Flawed or not, the tests do fill the bill.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I know somebody who got a 910 on the SAT.
    Straight A's in high school. Straight As in college.
    Now a VP at a Fortune 500 corporation.
    SATs are a scam. Always have been. Always will be.

(Oh, and just to clarify -- it's not me. I did fine on the SATs. But the fact my math score was higher than a classmate who went onto become one of his city's most esteemed orthopedic surgeons while I have trouble doing simple division -- a scam, period. And they're non-profit, to boot. Makes me wretch just thinking about it).

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't forget that you also must have frustrated the hell out of your parents, Rags.

12. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

SATs are a scam. Always have been. Always will be.

[/quote]

And on that, we'll just have to disagree. They're a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. But these decisions aren't made in a vacuum. Guys like me gather all the information we can, to make the best decisions we can. They don't serve the same purpose they did 10-15 years ago....but in their proper context, they're still viable.

Actually Twoback......you sound a lot like a parent I had on the phone, about an hour ago :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted