1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colleges paying newspapers for exclusive internships

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JLawson, Jul 23, 2007.

1. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Just like how hospitals pay TV stations to do exclusive stories at their hospitals?

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to see proof of that.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I wouldn't doubt it.

4. AKA advertising.

5. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

They do it for that reason. CJR did a story on it a couple of issues ago.

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

There are much bigger threats than this to "future internship opportunities." Lots of metros all over the place have whacked their internship programs out of budget concerns, or gone to the free-internship model, which is pretty economically exclusive. If this is what it takes to keep college kids getting paid to intern, I'll swallow hard and say it's OK with me.
    You're right, it reinforces educational elitism, and that sucks. But it's better than the alternative, which seems to be no internships at all.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Of course they should.

But how is this different from the common trait of many SE's, who take the path of least resistance and hire only from their geographic region?

8. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

This is something that surprised me a long time ago, and still surprises me today.

In my home state to become a teacher, you have to teach two semesters in a real high school class and you DO NOT get a dime for it. It's been like that for at least 15 years.

Many other internships are unpaid. Why do we think we're above them?

9. kfowler1

kfowler1 New Member

The Notre Dame program currently supplements the regular internship program, at least for the designated sports journalism internship. Thus, in that instance, the school isn't "stealing" an internship from another qualified writer.

10. With the Daily Herald, I thought.

Draft saved Draft deleted