1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colleges Editor, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RanaCash, Jun 7, 2007.

1. RanaCash

RanaCash New Member

College football is king in the South, and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Colleges Editor reigns over it all. He or she drives dynamic coverage in a region that includes the University of Georgia, Georgia Tech, the SEC and ACC, and local colleges.

This editor oversees a team of five beat writers always looking to break stories in the newspaper and online. The editor will also collaborate with a group of enterprise reporters and editors who'll produce compelling stories that readers won't find anywhere else.

If it's big and it's local -- the Chick-fil-A Bowl, NCAA tournaments or SEC football and basketball championships, for example -- the Colleges Editor is driving the coverage plan.

He or she would join a sports section that was awarded the 2006 Triple Crown by the APSE for Top 10 daily, Sunday and special sections, as well as Top 10 recognition for the 2006 college football special section.

The Colleges Editor uses a coaching style that, over time, improves both the journalism and the people. He or she edits to meet or exceed AJC story standards so that content is accurate, fair and written in a way that is interesting, understandable and relevant to readers and users. The editor also takes responsibility for the whole package, including collaborating with other departments to ensure the best overall presentation.

Position Qualifications:

* Bachelor's degree preferred.
    * Five or more years of professional journalism experience in a newsroom environment required.
    * Supervisory experience required.
    * Editing experience required.
    * Demonstrated planning ability on previous major stories required.
    * Experience as a sports reporter or editor required.
    * Knowledge of access, open records and libel laws required.

Contact Newsroom Recruiter Rana Cash -- rcash@ajc.com or 404-526-5497

2. Internal hire anyone?

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Considering the newsroom recruiter is posting the job, I'd say they might actually be looking for candidates for this gig.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

And on the other board there was a list of the reorganization and this job was open.

5. CaliforniaRed

CaliforniaRed Member

Sounds like fun.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wasn't this Jeff D'Allessio's job?
    But I think this would be a good gig, even with all the changes.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Here's the AJC reorganization thread

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/42484/

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

Should be a plum job. Anyone know what the pay range would be?

9. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Who the hell knows these days with all the cutbacks and such. It should pay decently. But with reorganization and papers not making enough money ....

10. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I think they said they're conducting a national search for this job, so I don't think it'll be internal.

11. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I'm really not sure what all would go into this position, but my perception is that there are some positive advantages for the right person in the right situation, especially someone 35 or up with young children.
    -- more regular hours than a beat writer.
    -- less travel than a beat writer.
    -- more of a chance to build a home life.
    -- lots of creative process as far as sharing ideas with writers.
    -- possible blog?

Disadvantes would be less writing or no writing and lots of in-house meeting. Probably more than I really understand.
    Any other ideas about the plusses and minuses?

12. Shane

Shane New Member

As someone who knows about the people here, I can tell you this is as good a job as there is out there right now. Very talented staff, with a lot of resources. It's a can't miss job.

Draft saved Draft deleted