1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colleges editor, Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Aug 17, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not necessarily. My current job did not pay relocation, but the pay is fine.

2. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Baffling to me. Never heard of a bigger operation not paying relocation, at least something.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's not as uncommon (not paying) as you might think. Sign of the times. Salary for this position is very good, so that could outweigh the no relo. factor.

Some of you probably know that Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale have indeed combined sections. Tim Stephens will oversee both. The logistics of that had to be worked out before he restarted the engines on the two jobs (editor and national writer). That has been done and progress on both jobs is being made. Rapid progress in some cases.

Tim has always been excellent about keeping us updated. I know the names of some candidates for both positions but I'm not sure where their candidacy stands now so I'm not going to toss them out there. He's not messing around in the bush leagues, I'll say that much.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Don't get me wrong, this is a great paper and a great job, but it tells you how cheap places are getting when they won't pay relocation.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Some places, it's been company policy. My parent company is a rather large one. A friend of mine who started there 10 years ago also didn't get relocation.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There are ways you can work around that/make that work, I've seen.

7. Mizzougrad96

Somebody good will take this job, but could a policy like this cost them a top candidate? It could.

I think it is a Tribune wide policy.

8. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

A firm "no-relocation" policy will always rule out some top candidates -- or even prevent many people from even applying. A relocation from say, Milwaukee to Orlando for a family of 4 could easily cost 15K-plus when you factor in all of the expenses. That's close to 20K in first-year gross salary. But on the other hand the family from Milwaukee could do all the moving themselves and get it done for maybe 5K.

It all just depends. Also, a lot of people are taking jobs and not even bothering with the relocation. Instead they fly home on weekends and spend the rest of the time in a cheap hotel or garage apartment. I have a half-dozen or so friends who are doing that. Another sign of the times.

9. Mizzougrad96

They're doing it because they can. People are so desperate that they'll eat the expenses.

10. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

The Tribune used to have a great relocation package. It really is the sign of the times and the fact the company is in bankruptcy.

Sometimes papers put people on the payroll ahead of time to assist in relocation.

11. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Moddy...has there been another thread on this merger?
    They've been sharing content, even complete pages for a while, and that was jarring enough.
    So Tim is now running the S-S, too? Aside from college football (and obviously the Heat, you know, the biggest story in the history of sports...) what interests do those markets share?
    Did they not learn anything from the Charlotte-Raleigh train wreck?
    I can't wait to see how this plays out.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

1HPG - I don't recall if there's been a separate thread, I don't think there has been. Yes, they've been sharing a while. Yes, Tim now oversees the S-S as well as the Sentinel. Not totally up on the two markets to know what interest overlap there is, so I can't comment on that. Also not sure how the Raleigh-Charlotte thing is structured. Tim will be spending time in both cities, that much I know.

It's all fairly new and, as noted before, Tim is always good about keeping us posted. When he comes up for air, I'm sure he can answer some of these questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted