1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College suspends football program due to steroid scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"This will be Waterloo's.....WATERLOO!!!!"

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, I waited four hours, so...

4. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I'm not thrilled with this decision. You've got more than 50 clean players, you have no indication that the coaching staff encouraged this behaviour (actually, some on record comments that they tried to discipline people and were told not to), and a university who told its players if they tested fine, they'd be able to play football in the fall.

To me, it's nothing more than an administration looking for headlines at the expense of its players, its incoming prospects, and justice. Have the inquiry first, then suspend the program if need be. Seems pretty arbitrary considering if the one kid didn't randomly get arrested, they probably would have no idea there was an issue with what amounts to about 10 per cent of the team.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

There goes those Waterloo to the Big East rumors.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

University is adamant that they will not reverse the decision

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/u-of-waterloo-stands-by-decision-to-suspend-football-program/article1606957/

I think it's a bit heavy handed. They should have put the team on a one year probation.

There's one bright spot, I guess

The CIS announced Wednesday it had clarified its transfer policy to allow Waterloo players to switch schools without having to sit out a year. The players still have to find a university team that wants them and be academically eligible.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Huge overreaction. They threw the baby out with the bath water. Suspend the players, fire the coach, but to essentially punish 50 some odd players who were innocent in this issue is absolute crap. The University is trying to look proactive but this is way over board.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

SMU and USC thought Waterloo's punishment was worst than the death penalty.

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

At least they won't be below .500 this year, which they haven't been able to say in probably 7-8 years.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My son who plays CIS football in the Maritimes said, "Bad decision on the university's part but they've been a crappy team for years".

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah I ran that story in our paper because it's not something that happens every day. Fair? I'm not sure. But what about life is truly fair anymore? Those kids get punished like the incoming USC recruits get punished for something they didn't do.

If this is happening at Waterloo, it just confirms my suspicion that it's happening all over the place.... even high schools.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I knew high school football players in the late 80s who were on seroids. I think the true amount of athletes using ped is grossly underestimated in all sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted