1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Student in need of help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SteveRomano13, Apr 27, 2014.

1. SteveRomano13

SteveRomano13 Member

Hey Guys- So i freelanced at the Springfield Republican in Mass during this year- my sophomore year. Now I am going home to NYC and was wondering what I should do. How do I freelance in NY or NJ. Also any advice for a young writer. I email writers all the time and hear great advice from them, but would love to hear some from you guys

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Steve-- Not what you asked but just some genuine advice: When you're writing to writers about becoming a writer, write like a writer.

Seriously. It matters.

3. SteveRomano13

SteveRomano13 Member

You are 100 percent right. Thank you.

4. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Just start emailing the local papers and ask if they are looking for any type of freelance help, even if it's just on a part-time basis, or things here and there. Any type of experience is helpful. Never turn down any type of job or position, because you never know where it will lead.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

What are "social media skills?" Being able to post links to Twitter and Facebook?

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If this guy is in college, I think he's got that covered.

Are there still people around that don't know how to copy a link in their browser and post it on Facebook/Twitter?

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yes.
    Tons.
    I work with a few.

Draft saved Draft deleted