1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College says no to national anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jun 8, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

As negative and unpatriotic as this appears, if you go back in history, I think baseball just started playing the song during WWI. There's no legal imperative that it has to be played before a game. Some venues do America the Beautiful or God Bless America anyway.
  2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The national anthem should not be played before sporting events between teams of mercenaries representing two cities (or schools). The national anthem should only be played before a sporting event if the game is between two teams of players representing their respective nation.
  3. printdust

printdust New Member

Not disagreeing but it started in a tradition of sorts.

And frankly, I'm stunned some atheist hasn't tried to sue MLB for "God Bless America," you know, claiming that it is being played at some taxpayer-funded stadium.
  4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It didn't start "in a tradition of sorts," just as "Pledge of Allegiance" didn't start "in a tradition of sorts." It started and then was continued out of fear of a backlash. It's stupid and jingoistic.

Your second part isn't worth commenting on since it has no bearing on the topic outside of sport being involved.
  5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Pastor, I love you more every day.
  6. printdust

printdust New Member

It started out during WWI and became tradition.

I started the thread. It's about political songs being sung at sporting events, beginning with the NA.

Try a new pulpit.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It only appears negative and unpatriotic to those who want it to appear negative and unpatriotic.
  8. JR

JR Active Member

Just drop the friggin' puck.

During the Stanley Cup Final, not only do we have to listen to two anthems, we have to listen to Rene Rancourt of the Bruins butcher both of 'em.

And now we have a new crowd of singers who think they're auditioning for American Idol.

Just get rid of the anthems. Period.
  9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

You gotta love Renee's fist pump at the end. GO BRUINS!!!!
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What I hated, when I worked at a small-weekly, was the main high school, in addition to singing the national anthem, would also sing their alma mater. Forcing everyone to stand for that, too. And in the middle of it, they would all stop singing, and yell out "WE'LL FIGHT!", then resume the song.

Then one game, the road team put the smack down on the local team, and at the end, the star player mocked the "WE'LL FIGHT!" chant to the home fans. It nearly caused a riot.
  11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, I kinda like hearing O Canada before the playoff games.
  12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It is my goal!

When you attend a sporting event do you forget that you are in the United States? I pretty much always know when I’m in the USA.

A game is played between New York and Boston. All of the athletes are not American or even representing America. The fans are not all from America, possibly on vacation from somewhere else, yet they are fed the national anthem. Your reasoning is because you forget that sporting events occur in every corner of the nation and forget that it’s a pretty cool place to be. That’s pretty weak.
Draft saved Draft deleted