1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Recruiting "Consultants" Question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Anyone out there in NCAA beats know enough about what does and doesn't violate recruiting rules?

Mosre specifically, we all know high school players can't have agents, but what about "consultants" and "people who find the best educationl and athletic fit for your son or daughter."

Obviously these people are paid, but is that a violation? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Like Charlie Batch and Terrelle Pryor? Good God, if that's not wrong on some level, I don't know what is.

To answer the question, sorry, I have no idea. But I don't agree with the practice.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I understand how you could think Charlie Batch as a consultant is wrong, but the guy is dating Pryor's aunt.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't think it is illegal. There are several companies, such one called Athletic IQ, that hold their own "combine" type things. Students pay them to participate and the company measures all their objective data and takes any DVDs or other such highlights the athlete can provide.

They also work with colleges and find out what type of athletes the colleges need and try to match them up. For instance, the Michigan and Troy State football teams might both be looking for a cornerback. AIQ will go through its database and find, say, the guy who can run a 4.3 40 and point them toward UM, while the guy who runs a 4.6 will get pointed to Troy State.

I imagine this falls into the "consulting" genre and it is apparently legal. I think because they are more of a "matchmaker" and work for both the athlete and school they get around illegal recruiting problems. They aren't technically recruiting, they're just putting athletes onto the radar of programs that might be interested.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A good rule of thumb to follow is this:

Until proven otherwise, unless the person in question is a registered agent with the professional league the athlete aspires to, the consultant is nothing more than a two-bit money-sucking parasite out to make as much money as possible off of unsuspecting kid and his family.

That should be your benchmark to measure from.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

If that's the case, then I can deal with that. It was just always so out-of-place to see him sitting right next to Terrelle at every press conference he called.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Even if they're registered, they're probably a parasite

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good rule of thumb. Registered or parasite...

Draft saved Draft deleted