1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College professor tells stutterer to be quiet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Oct 12, 2011.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Really? I thought that was hilarious. Lighten up.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought it was bullshit.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It was. But bullshit is funny sometimes. It makes up about 90% of the DNA of Animal House-type movies.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Yes, it was bullshit. But it was a pretty typical SJ-type comment.

One I laughed at, I should add.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought the moral of your story was public schools are full of bigots, go meet them as soon as you can.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, quite an odd story. Not sure this kid's disability is affecting his ability to learn. And I'm not following the IEP scenario, probably because I don't want to. Kid should be able to be home-schooled if his parents choose that. Teacher should have just pulled him aside and asked him to keep the questions to a minimum as if he were any other know-it-all or asking-50-questions-a-day student.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What?

Public schools are the one place a student with disabilities knows they will get an attempt at a fair shake.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I see that stuttering qualifies as a disability, but I don't really see it as one. Guess if it's bad enough to get this kid in trouble in class it could be. But how do you know this kid hasn't had the speech therapy and such that he needs anyway?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't, but the university should be handling it much better.

He could have had the greatest speech therapist in the world to get him to this point, but the classroom setting could be a little foreign to him.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No question about that. But I don't see how you can blame the parents for home-schooling and/or not getting him into this IEP program, which I have never heard of. Of course, I don't have kids, and if I had a kid with a disability I'd probably be familiar with those options. Still, maybe the parents didn't see it as a true disability and home-schooled him and got him speech therapy hoping he would not be embarrassed this way. This is all on the teacher/school for the mishandling of it.

12. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Or the kid for being a problem in class by being a know-it-all. I don't know enough about this particular kid to know if it was the stutter or the "precocious" that got him into trouble (seriously, that word should not be used with a teenager, NYT).

Some teachers do not not appreciate one student monopolizing all the answers or class discussion time. I was that kid and got told to let other kids answer and to write down my questions for later. This teacher might have had a discussion-oriented class where she wanted everyone to participate, not just a few, or she might have wanted to move on with lectures while he peppered her with questions.

Now, I have no idea what happened in that classroom, but from everything the kid said in the article and the way he was described (seriously, precocious is for smart 5 year olds - if you're precocious when you're 16, you're usually a socially inept brat who is trying to show off your intelligence), he sounds a bit like me at some ages, and looking back at it now, the teachers were right to tell me to knock it off and let others have their turn.

Draft saved Draft deleted