1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College professor tells stutterer to be quiet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Oct 12, 2011.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

History classes are much better when there is a good amount of discussion during class as opposed to the prof just lecturing the whole time.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

True, but the flow of the discussion needs to keep moving. Readingthe board or having the kid spin a laptop screen around keeps the flow going.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You can't do that -- "outing" the student's disability -- without getting your ass in a crack either. I once had a quadriplegic in my class and got the standard letter from my univ. disability services office saying that Student X had this disability and suggesting the appropriate accommodations. One was to solicit volunteers to share notes with the student. But the letter was very explicit that I should make sure that no one knew exactly which student needed help. So I was supposed to put in place some elaborate exchange -- notes to our office, copies made, originals back, etc., etc. -- so that no one would know, for sure, that someone had a disability. Of course, the fact that the guy was the only one in the room in a fully automated wheelchair wouldn't tip anyone off, noooooo ...

4. 93Devil

You know, I was going to ask what accommodations his high school gave him to solve his problem. Then
    I read the story a little closer...

For Philip, who has spent most of his life being home-schooled or attending a small charter school, the teacher’s attitude was a surprise and a disappointment. “I’ve never experienced any kind of discrimination,” he said, “so for it to happen in a college classroom was quite shocking.”

Well no shit. If you would have gone to public school, some of these problems you are having now would have been worked out before you hit college. Too bad there is not Home School State or Charter Tech.

When you have a disability, or something is affecting your ability to learn, in the public school system you get something called an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) after going through the child study process. Private schools do not have these and neither do home schooled students. Their backsides need to at least get to a public school for the IEP process. They do not have to enroll, but by lawy, the public school needs to write the student an IEP and the school must provide the services for the student.

For example, if a student needs speech and is in private school, the private school will send the student to a public school for the necessary hours of speech service, and then the student will go back to the private school.

If the smartest kid in the world is in a wheelchair, he or she has an IEP. It's how schools ensure that you are given the best chance to succeed as a student.

I really do not know what the rules are for New Jersey, but in many states your IEP will follow you from high school to college, and the college will honor the accommodations you need to succeed as a student.

So the moral of this story is if your child has a disability, get them into the public school system.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What is a 16-year-old with a stuttering problem and a self- (or mother)-professed self-consciousness about it doing on a college campus anyway?

6. 93Devil

That's funny.

The only time you see that south of 18 years old is when the kid has no money to pay for food. They get a free meal on the sate and fed dole, but you need to disguise it so the other kids don't know.

I have no problem with that. Your example is just to the 100th extreme.

7. 93Devil

Stuttering is in no way reflecting on the kids intelligence.

The kid could have an IQ that rhymes with dun difty, but it still does not give him the right to shut down the class.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Other students paid him to take up class time.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ah, the too-many-questions kid.

Close cousin: The "Podium Gunner" who runs to the front of the classroom after every class session to glean insight from the professor that will set him apart from the rest of the class.

Close cousin 2: The "Press Conference Gunner" who does the same thing at every press conference on your beat, sneakily making certain that he and only he will have what grade the ankle sprain was in tomorrow's edition.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm an idiot, so my students aren't helping themselves when they do that after class is over.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When I was finishing my doctorate one of my fellow students winnowed his way into a faculty-class office on the main floor (gasp)! Later they hired a full-time faculty member who took over that office, to the great disappointment of this guy. He argued that he needed the better office since "So many of my students come to me for help after class." The department chair said, "Well, maybe we need to rethink your even being in the classroom if you do such a bad job in there."

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted