1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College professor tells stutterer to be quiet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A N.J. community college professor has stirred up some controversy by telling 16-year-old dual-enrollment student to keep quiet in class. From the article, the problem isn't just the stuttering, but it's a combination of stuttering and being the kid who asks too many questions. I can see the professor's frustration, since there is a student in one of my grad school classes that drives the professor crazy because he asks a question every few minutes in the course of a three-hour class. But you can't just tell a kid to shut up, either.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/11/education/11stutter.html

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Wha, wha, wha, what?

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Wow.

5. Really?

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

My first reaction after reading the subject line was to wonder whether the stutterer's name was John.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to hear how the professor phrased it.

On the surface, it comes across as horribly insensitive and wrong.

At the same time... I heard the kid speak today. That kid has a HORRIBLE stutter. If he doubles as the too-many-questions kid, I can absolutely see why the professor would be tempted to try to say something like "please see me after class to ask these questions, because this isn't working."

Tricky thing to ask, though, and even trickier when dealing with a self-conscious 16 year old. As a professor you probably have to just shut up and deal with it.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Did you get the payoff of insight and dry wit?

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

[​IMG]

What is all the fuss about?

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'll tell you one thing about this story that you might not have considered. The instructor in this course is a part-timer, paid about $2,000 to teach this course. She gets to keep teaching courses here so long her classes are "generally happy" with her instruction. I'd bet folding money that "generally happy" in this institution is defined as an average teaching evaluation score of, say, 4.5 (or better) on a scale of 1 to 5. Thus, she's in a no-win situation, because at least some of the students are going to ding her for NOT telling the kid to stifle. It happens to me all the time ... Student X contributes disproportionately (maybe even in a positive way) and Students Y and Z make snarky comments about how they don't pay money to hear other students talk. I don't have to worry about it (much) because I'm judged primarily on research, but those poor adjuncts really have to walk a tightrope. Not to say that this lady's in the right, but I can certainly emphasize with her circumstance.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Give the kid a dry erase board to write on when he has a question. He raises his hand, shows the teacher the board, she reads the question, answers the question and everyone is happy.

Anyone with a brain solves this problem in 15 seconds.

On a side note, I find it ironic that the kid has a fish named Wanda.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The teacher can also hold comments until the end of the lecture and invite those with questions to stay.

These are not hard problems to solve.

Draft saved Draft deleted