1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College/preps writer -- Dothan (Alabama) Eagle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jan 18, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

http://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=1390e7a322fc244f&qd=pdeYZK8UyC2rFbSHYTdq-9BmD_lZbmIg9IyvQK6Wv1q9bDQQKSBKBk3A2fqhNcGkHA9pX2Jal0RDSmeMUsYNM-oAN7deM_BM5CHj1lC51RVtj2rf1WvHl3nJ8F3GK0uHONF_UajJqFsteOnGIgmm5Q&chnl=ijs&atk=17h7qdmnv06a01qe&jsa=579&inchal=apiresults&utm_source=publisher&utm_medium=organic_listings&utm_campaign=affiliate

The Dothan Eagle, a 29,000 daily circulation newspaper owned by World Media Enterprises, located in southeast Alabama, is looking for a writer to cover Troy University sports and high school teams throughout the area. The successful candidate will write game stories, feature stories, produce columns, as well as contributing blogs on the web site. Also, must be able shoot, edit and produce video for Web site, and use social media to further the scope of the Eagle’s audience. Will work closely with the sports editor to develop stories ideas, but must be able to develop your own stories. Will have some page proofing responsibilities. At least three years of experience and a four-year degree in journalism preferred. EOE M/F/D/V Pre-employment Drug Screening and Background Check required.

Required Skills

Good organization to keep track of a lot of sports teams and how they are doing and who are key individuals on those teams. Also have to have good people skills to interact with a lot of different people as well as with co-workers. Need to be flexible to adjust to breaking stories, deadlines. Must be able to cultivate sources,especially on the Troy beat.

Required Experience

At least three years of experience preferred and a four-year degree in journalism preferred.

Again, why so many jobs coming open?

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I think this job might have just been unfrozen. I know they were down a person in sports during football.

3. slc10

slc10 Member

I believed I applied for that one recently. They are getting to run together as I apply.

4. JPsT

JPsT Member

Three years experience? Seems like a lot for what this is, no?

5. RiverRat21

RiverRat21 New Member

I'm told this is not a current opening (as of 1/19) as it was filled a while back. Not sure how/why it ended up on Indeed.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Some jobs may be coming up simply because it is a new year. People leave and openings could be held off until the end of the year.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

This one got posted again on Indeed. The staff directory lists the Troy/preps position as still open. Anyone know anything?

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I believe this gig has been open since September.

The Eagle - "The Paper That Soars Above The Rest" - covers Troy football home and away, even though it's about 45 minutes from Dothan.

Jon Johnson is a good one. And isn't The Eagle now a Berkshire Hathway (Warren Buffett) property?

9. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

Not open. I applied and sent a family member who lives in Dothan to get details and it was filled. Just never took it down.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Drew Champlin used to have this job, but he's now covering UAB for AL.com. And I'll join the crowd to say that Jon Johnson is a great guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted