1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College paper editor details sexual assault

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., May 3, 2008.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

From the Daily Campus at UConn:

www.dailycampus.com (although the story isn't working at the moment).

Hartford Courant also has it:

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-uconnassault0503.artmay03,0,2579185.story

[step on soapbox]

From time to time we discuss on here the role of those comments. Could someone tell me how these stupid fucking comment boxes help a story, such as this one? Is this what the bigwigs at newspapers think...how can we involve the community...I know, let's have them write counter-productive tomes on any subject? BRILLIANT! These are among the 88 that are presently with that story

Sounds like she made up the whole story to get attention and make her boyfriend feel guilty.. She was drunk and ran into the "rape trail." C'mon... PLease.. A good police interrogator is needed..Can you say,"Filing a false report?"

Or this?

Sick drunk kids who have very little values, They screw **** and enjoy it.
    I bet the Asian students were not at the drunk sex party.
    You see the Asians have family values, Our young ladies are a reflection of society. so is Clinton, and the rest of the pigs in Washington.
    If the editor displayed her boobs and belly then she is like a pig in heat
    It is partly her own fault.
    Get rid of the orgy and think

I cannot believe that some rational person actually think some girl who reports something like this must either be a) faking it or b) she had it coming to her. Fuck that. If it comes out later that she did, deal with it then. But until that point...open your god damn mouth and stick your foot in it.

[stepping off soapbox]

I went to UConn. Spring weekend is a crazy time. However, most of the damage/arrests happens because of non-UConn people.

However, this is one thing that I find very hard to believe is going to go away.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Coincidentally a PD reporter details her own rape 23 years prior while working on a PD story. Comments enabled.

These women are not alone:

http://videos.cleveland.com/plain-dealer/2008/05/beyond_rape_a_survivors_journe.html

3. VJ

VJ Member

It's appalling that comments are enabled on stories that deal with a subject matter like rape.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

It's not just subjects like rape that get the crazies out. Every time my paper publishes even the most boring traffic accident brief, we get a ton of "must be an illegal alien because Americans know how to drive, send the brown people back to Mexico!" comments. It's sickening.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Why are we still facing the 'what she was wearing' argument? Jeebus, where's Darwin when you need him?

6. Fighting off Ben Stein, I think, Flash.
    Those comment threads make me think old Buzz was onto something.

7. VJ

VJ Member

The illegal immigrants comments don't bother me as much because they aren't singling out one individual person. But to have someone show the courage to discuss publicly what happened to her, only to open herself up to ridicule and insults in a public forum is disgusting.

But, hey, I bet it drew tons of hits to the website so yay! ::)

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Here's another example of why I will oppose allowing readers to comment at my shop.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I don't think it's cut and dry. But in this case -- absolutely unnecessary. It probably adds a few hits because of people coming back to see what others write, but journalistically, there's no advantage to it here.

10. Let them write letters to the editor, and we'll decide what gets printed or not.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've said this before, and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but I believe the Miami Herald used or used an intern to monitor comments on its Web site.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

there are not enough papers like yours.

Draft saved Draft deleted