1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

college mascot poll

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Feb 19, 2007.

?

Which D-1 university has the most "flaming" mascot?

1. Arizona State

6.9%
  2. Kansas

17.2%
  3. New Mexico State

10.3%
  4. San Diego

13.8%
  5. Seton Hall

3.4%
  6. Minnesota

3.4%
  7. Kentucky (old logo)

6.9%
  8. Duke

10.3%
  9. Wisconsin

3.4%
  10. Notre Dame

10.3%
  11. Penn State

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Oregon

3.4%
  13. other

10.3%
  1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Man, the Internet can yield some surprises. I ran a search on "gay gopher" to see if I could find a picture of Minnesota Goldy in the act. Instead, I get this little bit of mammal-on-mammal action from Canada:

[​IMG]

It's Gainer the Gopher, official mascot of the CFL's Saskatchewan Roughriders, performing some kind of freaky act on what I can only presume is a British Columbia Lion. Mind you, this is from the official team website. The picture is a downloadable desktop background! Good Lord, aren't there any Lutherans or Catholics up there to stop that sort of thing?

2. writing irish

Here's the Golden Domers' logo.
    [​IMG]
    Goofy, but never struck me as gay. And no, I'm not a Notre Dame fan.

The Oregon Ducks, proud wearers of the worst uniforms in North American sports, don't have a duck in their logo these days. They used to have a Donald Duck look-alike. I must add them to the poll, however belatedly, based on this photo:

[​IMG]

The old Disney Duck is about to come all over himself with joy at the sight of the new cyborg duck. Good Lord. That's gayer than anything in this entire thread.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ah, but there's more to the mascot than a logo...
    There's

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

And finally,
    [​IMG]

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Donald Duck mascot - and that's what this thread is about, mascots, not logos, right? - was removed from the logo when the old interlocking UO was replaced by the 0. But the Donald Duck mascot character is a fixture at every University of Oregon home event.

5. writing irish

I was actually thinking more about logos rather than mascots when I started this thread, so the logo/mascot ambiguity is my fault. So micropolitan, was the cyborg Duck just a one-time thing to promote the futuristic unis?

In any case, I'm ready to declare a winner in the Least Relevant Poll in SportsJournalists.com History. The Kansas Jayhawks were tied for the lead when I reset the poll this afternoon, and KU is well in the lead as of 7pm Eastern. Therefore, congrats to KU for having the courage to be gay as hell in a homophobic world. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

[​IMG]

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Roboduck has been MIA for several years now. It did not go over very well, or so I'm told.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't it be "Rock cock, Gayhawk?"

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

St. Joe's has THE MOST annoying mascot ever. I wish someone would tackle that bastard and make like what Ace Ventura did to the Philadelphia Eagle. THE HAWK MUST DIE!

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Never heard opponents spin that one before. ::)

11. writing irish

Oz's dispassionate attitude in the face of teasing is exactly the sort of thing that makes K-State fans livid. No matter how many times the K-Staters taunt "Gayhawk!" the Kansas fans just won't get their feathers ruffled. Probably in part because they have scoreboard, as was the case last night.

Sorry for using the word "mascot" in the thread title when I really meant "logo." Mascots are inherently...well, not "gay," but goofy. I was finding amusement in the logos...how universities would pay a graphic design firm a fat chunk o' change to come up with something as foofy was the USD Matador or the Seton Hall Pirate...or the KU Jayhawk.

Draft saved Draft deleted