1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Majors/Degrees

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KevinmH9, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ditto. Though if you are specializing in reporting on politics or business or what have you, I'd rather see someone with a business or polysci degree than journalism.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I never said I wasn't pathetic. I'm just not as pathetic as I could be.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I see your point; however, business or poly sci degrees in themselves don't necessarily mean someone's going to be good at either specific field. Though I readily admit they should help if someone has at least above average intelligence.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Add Sociology to the mix with business and polisci.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

come on mike, jesus fucking christ. you're not a member of my family ... i'm not going to cheapshot you during the holidays. :D

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A friend of the family is a senior VP with GE (of a $14 billion arm of the company), and he is not even 50 yet.

You know where he went to college? Geneva... in Beaver Falls, PA. He got his grad degree from Bobby Mo in PA. Hell, he started at a community college as a basketball player.

Once you get your foot in the door for your first interview, do not look like a monster. Come well groomed and dressed. That is 90 percent of the battle right there. If your boss wants to share an office space with you, you have won most of the war.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Was hired at my current paper at the start of my junior year.
    Graduated with a degree in English, specializing in Journalism, with a political science minor.
    When I thought about leaving the field a couple of years later, I went back to school (as an undergrad because my grades weren't good enough for grad school) and picked up a second BA in English Education. But got zero phone calls for job interviews in education, so I never moved past that NJ certificate of eligibility to full certification. So I wound up sticking with journalism and eventually received the promotion from part-time writer to full-time desk.

Draft saved Draft deleted