1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Majors/Degrees

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KevinmH9, Dec 21, 2007.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I'm going to straightforwardly assume that this it won't matter, but I'm curious if your degree makes a substantial difference in getting a job. Is it really all just based upon having experience within the field? After poking around on journalismjobs.com, it seemed as though many companies are looking people with degrees within the fields of journalism/communications. I, myself, will have a degree in English/Writing. I wasn't sure if that'll look sour towards a future employer, or if my experience with working for a newspaper for 2 1/2 years will be the deciding factor. Thanks!

That too, and what did some of you, for those that have them, receive your masters in? I was considering an MBA, but not sure what’d be logical for moving forward.

2. Most places just care that you have a degree. Other than that, it depends on how good you are.

You could have a degree from Yale and still suck at being a sportswriter.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Or s
    Or suck.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Didn't matter for my employer.

I doubled in accounting and finance/investments. Now I'm driving helicopters for them.

Meh.

5. Typing it twice?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Or at being President.

7. Type of degree doesn't matter nearly as much as your clips. Just have plenty of those.

8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Hey, I have an English degree too. They thought I would be good at grammar and spelling..... Boy, were they wrong.

9. Classic. You never cease to amaze me, Doc.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Not a damn bit.

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

degree counts. I'm not sure most places care what you have a degree in, just as long as you have one.

12. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

if you can get lucky with some experience under your belt you can get a job without a degree, not to encourage it but it can be done. I'm on my second gig without a degree and have moved up ahead of people with degrees that have no experience

Draft saved Draft deleted