1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Kid Graduates!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, May 14, 2009.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I’ve never been one for milestone posts with regards to post totals, but as I just picked up my cap-and-gown at the Ithaca College bookstore for my graduation on Sunday I thought I’d do one for this. Apologies for the length.

I mostly want to thank the board for everything I’ve learned during my time on here. According to my profile, I joined this site January of my senior year of high school. Since then I’ve learned more about journalism and the business from here than I ever did during my journalism classes. Even though SJ gets a bad rap from some people, I always felt I received a true view of the business from the journalism board.

If it wasn’t for this site I would probably still be going headfirst into print journalism without any back-up plan. It’s amazing that at no point during my journalism classes did any of my professors really talk to us about the reality of the journalism industry. Those of us who were self-motivated enough to find out for ourselves, did, but I know kids who assumed they could just take their classes, not worry about getting internships and be set for a job at a major metro right out of college.

I’d like to think I would not have been naïve, but I didn’t have to worry about that with all the amazing advice I found on SJ, both on threads and through personal conversations. Thanks to my email list of advisers: sc, IJAG, Moddy, BYH, buckdub, Cadet, sxy, Birdscribe and pallister. A special thanks to Moddy who has vouched for me on a few occasions during my current job search. Also, thanks to jgmacg, Norman and others who knocked some sense into me last year when I was considering not taking an internship with NBC in Beijing since “I didn’t want to do broadcast journalism.” I never would have lived down that regret.

And just a general thanks to everyone on the board for being a nice place to get-away for too many hours (more than 131 days apparently). It’s rare that I don’t find something extremely funny on here each day.

Also, a quick recommendation for any parents here who have a child considering doing anything in communications, look at the Park Scholar Program at Ithaca. It’s a full academic scholarship given to around 15 people every year who want to go into the communications school. Not only is tuition, room and board, etc. covered but I also got a stipend every semester that has allowed me to save up a good deal of money during my four years.

Without it, I would never have been able to go to London for a semester and travel to seven other countries and a principality while there. Also, Beijing and a semester in LA probably would have been out of the question as well.

And I definitely would not have been able spend the weekend in Seattle last summer at a “journalism conference.” It gave me the opportunity to drink on both coasts for my 21st birthday and to hear joe tell me that he had “had sex before I was born…a lot.”

And to the other youngsters around here: Shut up and listen until you get the hang of the place and then take the chance to talk with other members and, if you can, go to an outing and learn from a group of smart people.
  2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Glad we could be a part of the journey, dude. Come back and visit any time.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Congrats man. Good luck in the future.
  4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Dude, congrats. It was a big couple of days for me last year so enjoy it.
  5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I have a few friends who are also graduating this year from Ithica. Quality people. Great school, from what I've been told. Congrats!
  6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Congrats, kid! I expect you will kick all our butts in terms of career progress before all is said and done.

Stan sends his best wishes too.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Dre, it was great meeting you last year in Seattle, so I offer wholehearted congratulations at beating a path out of a private school in upstate New York. :D

Wherever that path might take you, keep your chin up, your mind open and your liver functional.
  8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

That last part may be difficult after the past week. Yesterday's Tour de Franzia may have put me over the top.
  9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I guess you're still allowed to be a pansy in college. I kid, I kid.

I was ready to revoke your man card, but I'll let it slide this once.
  10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Congrats, Dre!
  11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Who cares, you're not Donna Martin! [/byh]
  12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Congrats to my future platonic husband! You've brought as much to this place as you've taken from it, so that's either to your credit or blame. :)
Draft saved Draft deleted