1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Hoops

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writer200707, Jan 10, 2007.

1. writer200707

writer200707 New Member

I am trying to find out who else there is to read for college basketball. Andy Katz is putrid. He just kisses everyone's ass and doesn't even break that much anymore. The new guy at CBS isn't bad, but he's no Gregg Doyell.

2. subhead

subhead Member

My turn...

Hi Greg.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

or gregg

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sticking with ESPN.com, the Forde Minutes column should be starting up any...time...now.

Great weekly look at hoops, as he does with football with the Forde-Yard Dash.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Or Doyel...

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Gary Parrish, your (oops, I mean Doyel's) replacement, is a solid college hoops writer. And he doesn't engage in the "look at me, I'm so controversial" BS that you (oops, I mean Doyel) did.

That being said, you (oops, I mean Doyel) were (was) not afraid to take on any of the sacred cows. Your (oops, his) scathing piece on Calhoun last season after the Doug Wiggins was outstanding. It takes balls to go after a HOF coach like that, even if you're not on the beat.

7. writer200707

writer200707 New Member

This is not Gregg Doyel. I am just a big college basketball fan who is also a writer for a small paper. I wish I made what Doyel makes. What do you think of Seth Davis, Jeff Goodman and Mike Decourcy? Seth Davis doesn't really seem to care about anything but TV anymore.

8. JonathanG

JonathanG Member

I think Andy Katz is great actually. It's unbelievable to see the kind of sources the guy has. I don't think any writer in America gets down to the nitty gritty of college basketball (from a real hard-core's perspective, not your typical simplistic media fluff) the way he does. Yes he seems to kiss a bit of ass here and there, but realistically I don't see any other way he'd be able to get the access he does without doing that. Don't think he pushes it too much either, and as long as you know to take certain things with a grain of salt, I don't think its a huge issue either. You can't argue with the fact that he's a great writer, a super hard worker, and extremely prolific. I don't always agree with everything he says, but you have to respect what he does there on his blog and in the occasional article.

Other writers I enjoy...

Mike DeCourcy. Gets lost sometimes over on the Sporting News, but he's a great writer, a very well respected guy in the industry and really loves his hoops.

Frank Burlison. Different style of writing, but I really respect his opinion on players. Another guy who travels his ass off and is a well respected guy in his specific niche.

Gary Parrish. Very good writer, I've liked him since his days at the Commercial Appeal. Also really prolific and has a good sense for knowing when to push certain buttons right as a topic gets hot. I like him a lot more than Doyel, who always came off to me as a huge prick and very clearly "borrowed" a lot of his stuff from various sources on the net.

Luke Winn- Kinda hit or miss now that he's got that blog, but I've read some very good stuff from him from time to time.

Dan Wetzel- I don't see enough from him these days I feel, but this guy has the juice without a doubt, and he's not afraid to use it. He seems to know college basketball inside out.

Last one...Kyle Whelliston...from Midmajority.com. Also writes for ESPN Insider.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thank you. I worked with him at my first shop. GREAT guy. Knows as much about the state of national HS and college hoops as any writer in America. He does the Best in the West for the Press-Telegram. The hardest hardcore hoops junkie in America he is. GREAT guy, too.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Katz, DeCourcy, Parrish, Winn, Pat Forde and Seth Davis are all top-notch.

Great writers/reporters and good peeps.

11. writer200707

writer200707 New Member

I don't think that Frank Burlison writes for Fox anymore. Jeff Goodman is their national guy and it looks like he may be as connected as Katz or anyone else from the way he's broken stories so far this year. I'm not sure who he is, but he's done a good job since I've been reading.

Does Wentzel still cover college hoops? Where is he?

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

DeCourcy's a nice guy. But God have mercy on your soul if you ever suggest he STFU.

("No More Acronyms?" Anybody?)

(I need to stop posting on this board when I'm drunk.)

Draft saved Draft deleted