1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College hoops preseason coaches' poll is out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

KU-UCLA for me, for obvious reasons.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Cocksuckery of Westwood?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I still can't stand the Bruins for that game. Side note: I saw somewhere that the "C" of the "UCLA" on the jerseys would be gold this season, standing out from the others letters. Because they want to emphasize the championships they've won going into whatever anniversary year season this is for them.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Believe it signifies them becoming the first school to win 100 team championships in Division I.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Actually, GTown does have three McDonald's All-Americans this year -- sophomore Vernon Macklin and freshmen Austin Freeman and Chris Wright.

That being said, I don't know how Memphis isn't getting more love. Yeah, I think Calipari's a slimeball and he's running a rogue program, but the guy has more talent on his roster than some NBA teams and many of those guys are experienced.

Should be an interesting season, regardless.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Memphis would probably be my preseason No. 1. They're stacked, and they bring back nearly everyone.

7. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

And like early '90s UNLV, play in a horrible conference.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup, but supposedly they have some kind of cred. Where was all this when Gonzaga was easily a top-flight program 3-4 years ago?

Memphis won't get any competition from Conference USA, but it has to be better than what passed for competition when UNLV was playing in the PCAA/Big West.

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I think Gonzaga has gotten plenty of cred. But even at their best -- the Adam Morrison-JP Battista team -- Gonzaga has never been a legit national championship contender.

10. Stop making plucky little Mark Few cry.
    I want to see Memphis play a good team before I make them a No. 1 contender.

11. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Well, I don't know...'06 they were a few points away from making the Elite 8.

I agree Memphis' record is inflated due to C-USA comp., but making the Elite 8 in back-to-back seasons doesn't do it for you?

12. K --
    They've been respectably tourney-strong, I'll give you that.
    This has to be the year they make the big step, though. I can't believe Cal is much longer for Memphis, and, once he leaves, the million-pound NCAA shithammer comes down.

Draft saved Draft deleted